Author Topic: Primate: 1, Small, vicious mammal: 0  (Read 245 times)

I D Shukhov

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Be Prepared.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
Re: Primate: 1, Small, vicious mammal: 0
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
Ew. Rabies is one of my primal fears.

My wife had a relative who died of rabies at home years ago (country people living in deep rural Tennessee.) Essentially the human victim becomes like a "Walking Dead" re-enactor.

That girl is damned lucky.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:29:28 PM »
Many many years ago I got bit and wasn't able to catch the animal. I was totally uninsured and low income at the time but I figured for this the health department must have some sort of program.

The only place I could get the vaccine was at the hospital. It's a specialty thing that doctors and the health department don't carry. So I went and asked about the price. I don't recall the exact amount but it was over $4000 at the time. So I shrugged and took my chances that the animal wasn't sick. Pretty much everybody I tell this story to tells me what an idiot I am, or was, and what if I got it and died. Well I didn't, so there's that. I just couldn't afford it back then.

I guess I can relate to the story of your wife's relative. Could have been me in that tale. I bet he also looked into the price of the vaccine.

Oddly enough, if you are a dog or cat a vaccine dose is something like $10.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:08:05 PM »
Man bites dog?
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
I guess I can relate to the story of your wife's relative. Could have been me in that tale. I bet he also looked into the price of the vaccine.

Years ago (I think this was a family story from the 1930s-50s) something like rabies vaccines wasn't many times the individual earning power related cost like it is today - less medical deep state and cost extortion. The person probably just wasn't aware of the danger and didn't get the vaccine.

I read about some guy who was staying in a motel room in Texas and a rabid bat had gotten in the room and barely nicked him, and he thought nothing of it. He came down with rabies later from that point of contact.

Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

I D Shukhov

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
My son was dive-bombed and bitten by what was presumed to be a bat while out jogging.  He had fang marks on his scalp.  We took him to the hospital where we usually go for emergencies and they didn't have the vaccine.  I can't remember the details now but I think they must have made some calls and we ended up going to another hospital ER.

You need several follow-up vaccinations and the only place we could get it was at the same hospital ER.  I think like CR wrote getting it from the health department was problematic, but that might have been an insurance issue.  So we had to take him to the ER on successive Sundays for at least 3 other times.  Each time the insurance would not cover the ER charge because he was not admitted.  I filed an appeal where I tried to explain it was the only way for him to get the vaccine -- i.e. by going to this particular ER.

What happened to the appeal must have been what a 60 Minutes did an expose about -- i.e. the medical insurance appeals process.  For the insurer they were investigating all appeals were sent to a processing center somewhere in South America.   Many of the people working in the department couldn't speak English, but it didn't matter because the only action permitted for them was to stamp DENIED on the form and return it to the insurer.
Be Prepared.