Author Topic: Why Paid Email Will Never Beat Gmail (I dont buy it)  (Read 151 times)

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Why Paid Email Will Never Beat Gmail (I dont buy it)
« on: September 26, 2017, 03:33:14 AM »
https://gizmodo.com/5992420/why-paid-email-will-never-beat-gmail

Not sure I buy it. But there are some interesting comments at the end of the article:

"Suppport is for customers, not for the product. Using Gmail you are the product, not the customer."

"Yep. I see people every day who have their entire business email system based off of free Gmail. They better hope that nothing ever goes wrong with it, because Google does NOT have a phone number you can call for support."

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
Re: Why Paid Email Will Never Beat Gmail (I dont buy it)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:17:36 AM »
The one reason for Google to run Gmail as a free service is user data and using that data to track trends. I have a gut feeling that this bargain is extremely lucrative per user for Google, so they will never dump the free model or make users pay for access. They have only added storage since Gmail was started.

Gmail has a lock-in from the perspectives of functionality and name recognition.

Only those who disagree with Google politically or who need a high assurance of no storage of their email will use a paid service instead.

Lastly, "free" is the standard mode of online services. "Paid" has to be something really unique and irreplaceable. Loss of privacy isn't a readily apparent cost.

The masses will never leave Gmail.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

benali72

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: Why Paid Email Will Never Beat Gmail (I dont buy it)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:11:26 PM »
I can't believe that companies routinely use gmail for discussing their business. Not because something might "go wrong with it", but because it is clear-text sent through a company that makes money off what you send. A really poor choice for a business email system, imho.

That said, I agree with Gorn: the masses will never leave it. The benefits gmail provides are visible while potential harms are not.