Author Topic: What Google Knows About Your Online Habits - #infographic  (Read 306 times)

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: What Google Knows About Your Online Habits - #infographic
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »
Great graphic, thanks for posting it.

What I hate is all the people I have to communicate with through email who stupidly use Gmail. Of course, google snarfs up all the info in the emails you send to those idiots.  So even if you're smart enough not to use Gmail, it hardly helps.

IMHO, open email greatly reduces its value.  What a shame. And this in a so-called free country.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 06:48:54 PM »
What I hate is all the people I have to communicate with through email who stupidly use Gmail. Of course, google snarfs up all the info in the emails you send to those idiots.  So even if you're smart enough not to use Gmail, it hardly helps.

One of those idiots speaking!  >:D

I have Gmail for Apps on all of my domains.  In exchange for the databasing of all of my email traffic, I have pretty rock solid spam and malware prevention. Gmail tends to very, very reliably block virtually all malware and phishing emails.

Also, searches for individual emails, when I forget the date or the context, are very effective when the email is sitting in Gmail. A search for an invoice so that I can re-order something can take 10-15 minutes with my desktop email client. In Gmail I generally put my hands on the item within a minute.

I'm well aware of Google's scope.  When I want to search for something medical or legal or even some politically related topics, I'll either use Startpage.com or I'll launch an incognito browser window and connect with a VPN proxy - so that searches through Google or other engines are done with a client IP address that is anonymous and unknowable.

As a freelancer/self employed, I find Google's suite of products, particularly tools like their lightweight office apps, to be invaluable for sharing. I can create a "Google write" document and easily share it with someone to convey some ideas, and it's easier than bullshitting around with attaching a Word document and then hearing some know nothing dumbass client squawk about not having the right Word version.

May I ask you guys exactly what diabolic consequence it is that you specifically fear from this databasing? Skynet isn't a good answer.

Or is it just you "old" guys being arrogant and elevating yourselves by saying to themselves "those dumb shit young people sure share too much and I am so much above that and so much smarter and wiser." :P

I'm not offended by this thread.  The older ones tend to be somewhat socially and professionally isolated by eschewing "too much" newness.

Like the IT recruiter I used in the mid 90s who was an ex-mainframe programmer who disparaged my intent to use email as childish and trendy. I wanted to email my timesheets. He told me to use his fax line. Pain in the ass.

I'm not saying Google's takeover of all information everywhere is a good thing. It sucks. What I'm saying is you get on with your life.

If law enforcement or legal process, judicial or extra-judicial, wants to find me or you, it will. If some hostile individual or group wants to stalk or track you, it can regardless if you use Google products or not.

I just find that every group is its own stereotype, including old guys in tech. Except only for me. I am a true snowflake and I am inutterably unique. Unlike everyone else, including you guys.  :P
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:55:29 PM »
But I have learned to NEVER share too much through Facebook.

The culture there is broken and stupid.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:19:38 PM »
It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with that I don't want one company to have all that knowledge about me. I think they are deeply entrenched with the deep govmt that we hear about and I know for a fact they are in bed with the intelligence agencies. And as we all know, none of this stuff can be trusted.

I do use it and admit doing so but I have systematically pulled back about being 100% in with everything they do. I used to use their bookmarks app, stopped doing it. I also don't use their cloud storage. I have gotten in the habit at home of pulling my mail through an email client and not being logged into them all the time while surfing the web. There is no reason to be logged in all the time so they can harvest everything single thing you look at on the web.

But as Benali pointed out, all these other people use gmail so you by default are cataloged even if you don't use gmail.

Also for the past few months I have had an Samsung S7 Android phone which I recently deactivated as I could not stand it. While researching some issues on the phone I was shocked at the stuff that Google was doing via Android. Android is basically spyware that is sold as a smartphone. I will write about my Samsung Android experience in another post.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
To be perfectly fair Benali used the term "idiots" to describe Gmail users.

No, I think this degree of collusion is awful. But there is no concept of anti-trust any more. And we as users take advantage of this well-oiled and highly integrated machine of apps. The cost is lack of privacy.

What's absent in this thread are suggestions on alternative technology and solutions that can take the place of this Google stuff. I've read about ports of Android's source code into independent code bases but I know through experience that such solutions will be buggy, fragmentary, and untested. There's really no good replacements... hosting your own email is only a partial solution.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 07:51:12 PM »
I didn't pick that up about the idiots ;) - I guess I am an idiot. LOL. Goes with that deplorable thing I guess :) .

What you say about collusion is true and the govmt refuses to do jack via ant-trust.

I have investigated replacing google/gmail. Replacing the email is not hard but replacing some of the functionality might be. I have a bunch of email services including some in Europe. They all do what Gmail does and that includes search.

What my family and friends do rely on is Google Talk which is embedded in Gmail. Though recently Google announced they are going to discontinue Talk and force everyone into Hangouts. I read the reason is because Hangouts as been a failure. So if I could find a chat service that worked in/out of firewalls on the computer that would work for me. Than its bye bye.

As for Android, its very fragmented already. The different handset companies are hardly compatible with each other. They don't even look like each other. There is a lot of nefarious stuff in Android. As I already mentioned I will write more about my experience in another post. I can say this, at this point I am not a fan.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 07:48:26 AM »
Looking around our house...

I leave a 10" Android tablet on all of the time to charge.

I leave an Android smartphone on my desk turned on all the time to take calls.

We have an Amazon Fire TV box for streaming, which has built in Alexa (you do have to push a microphone button to ask it a question.)

In summary:

My residence is NOT only porous and open to the deep state and its data collection...

But I have basically invited the Cigarette Smoking man into our house to hang out, smoke a pack of Morleys, have a few beers, and crash overnight and never leave.

:o

Code Refugee

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
I hate ilconsiglliere's guts for posting a 3.1MB jpg which expands into umptillion megabytes and destroys my computer, running my CPUS to 75% to be able to view this page.

Here is a bandwidth reduced 295k version.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 12:19:12 PM »
I hate ilconsiglliere's guts for posting a 3.1MB jpg which expands into umptillion megabytes and destroys my computer, running my CPUS to 75% to be able to view this page.

Definitely what you described is a lesser character flaw.  >:D

75%? What the frig kind of computer are you running, an Arduino connected to a monitor?

What you posted is a bit easier to navigate. Clickbait web graphics are another bandwidth hog slowing down teh intertubez.

Code Refugee

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
75%? What the frig kind of computer are you running, an Arduino connected to a monitor?

Yeah and waddaboutit? :-P

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 12:50:27 PM »
Geek putdowns.  ;D

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 04:45:33 PM »

Here is a bandwidth reduced 295k version.

I am glad I am not fragile, I definitely wont need a safe space and some coloring books after being told you hate my guts ;) .

On that note the graphic looks kind of grainy, you might not want to consider a job where you use Photoshop ;) .

PS. What are you using a stone table and a chisel that it cant handle 3.1MB ;) ? Its only 2017, havent you heard that memory and storage is cheap ;) .

PSS. I hope you realize I am teasing you.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
^ More geek putdowns.  :P

Leave Code Refugee alone, his Arduino based desktop with 512 MB running DOS is maxed out.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
^ More geek putdowns.  :P

Leave Code Refugee alone, his Arduino based desktop with 512 MB running DOS is maxed out.

I dont even know what Arduino is ;) .