Author Topic: The two best articles I've seen on the Equifax Hack  (Read 205 times)

ArnoldW2

• Trusted Member
  • Guru
    • View Profile
The two best articles I've seen on the Equifax Hack
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:31:07 PM »

Part I of Dealing with the Equifax Hack

$4 Trillion in Profit Potential when “Big Data” Becomes Too Big…

Equifax announced last week that the intensely private personal data it had in its possession for 143 million Americans had been hacked.

That’s 1 in every 2 people — — even if you NEVER did business with Equifax and NEVER became their customer.  Not a single American signed up for this and there is not a single regulatory body that is likely to put the company out of business.

And the breach is vastly worse than other hacks.  Equifax maintained the financial equivalent of the “Holy Grail.” Social security numbers, driver license numbers, addresses, bank accounts, date of birth, and more.  Everything needed to create a “new you.”

What really chaps my hide is that criminals can now use this information to file tax returns, claim refunds, access medical records, rent apartments, buy houses, take out loans and more – all without you knowing for years to come.

This goes waaaaaaay beyond simple identity theft.

https://totalwealthresearch.com/2017/09/part-i-4-trillion-in-profit-potential-when-big-data-becomes-too-big/

Part II of Dealing with the Equifax Hack

What's happened to Equifax's databases goes far beyond simple data theft.

It is extremely important you protect yourself and your money NOW.

Equifax, unfortunately, doesn’t want to make this easy.

The company’s website stinks. What’s more, it’s clearly written by corporate lawyers who appear more interested in protecting Equifax’s interests than yours.

You can’t change your social security number so that’s out.

But you can “freeze” your credit.

If you’ve never heard the term before, that’s a process that creates a permanent hold on your credit files that prevents the credit bureaus from releasing your credit to any company except those that you specifically designate (or those that already have you as a customer), law enforcement and the court system, or specific government agencies under the terms of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

This article has four links to help you get started.

A few more data thefts a la Equifax is all it’ll take to bring Big Data to the forefront.

The problem will get worse before it gets better. It also means that individuals, companies, and entire countries will spend whatever they must to protect themselves.

Companies that profit by selling computer security products will be good investments.  Equifax is only one of dozens of attacks to come and, as nasty a thought as that may be, it’s also a sign of tremendous opportunity.

https://totalwealthresearch.com/2017/09/part-ii-what-to-do-and-which-stocks-to-buy-to-immediately-protect-your-money/

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: The two best articles I've seen on the Equifax Hack
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:12:51 PM »
So you have utterly no control over your data. They take it without your consent.
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

benali72

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »
So you have utterly no control over your data. They take it without your consent.

Absolutely. Most people have no idea how big the data brokering business is and how much data these companies hold on them.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_broker

Individuals ("the people") are losing their privacy and their power and this is one big aspect of it.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »

Get a load of The Work Number database from Equifax -- all your salary data to anybody who wants it, and companies feed their employees data into it without their even knowing.... and without asking them.

see -- www.nbcnews.com/technology/exclusive-your-employer-may-share-your-salary-equifax-might-sell-1B8173066

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »

Get a load of The Work Number database from Equifax -- all your salary data to anybody who wants it, and companies feed their employees data into it without their even knowing.... and without asking them.

see -- www.nbcnews.com/technology/exclusive-your-employer-may-share-your-salary-equifax-might-sell-1B8173066

I pulled my report on the Work Number - it showed week by week what I made going back a decade. Pretty dam scary.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 02:58:14 PM »
Wow. What makes this scary is that employees are never told that their information is going to Equifax like this.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 03:23:51 AM »
Wow. What makes this scary is that employees are never told that their information is going to Equifax like this.

You can pull your own report, takes 5 minutes by following the link. The worst thing is employees have no idea that your employer is providing Equifax this info. As a matter of fact my last bunch of employers gave it to them including my current consulting body shop.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »