Author Topic: The 25 most influential YouTubers. (And Why You Need To Know Them)  (Read 239 times)

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
If you don't trust any one source of news or opinion and want some ideas for watching opinions, and some perspective on the pecking order, this page is an excellent resource.

It veers more toward conservative and alt-right channels but that's of course because the far left channels are much stupider and less trustworthy.  :P

http://nowbuzz.me/25-most-influential-youtubers/

I listen regularly to about 1/3 of the Youtube channels / authors listed on this page:

Info Wars
Black Pigeon
Prager U
Mark Dice (the guy who does street side "youtube hits" on stupid people who don't think by posing them trick questions and seeing how seriously the average idiot takes them.)
Corbert Report
Bill Still
Styxhexenhammer666 (yes)
Sargon of Akkad

Of course, I'm full of hate and should be killed.  >:D
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

benali72

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: The 25 most influential YouTubers. (And Why You Need To Know Them)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 10:02:28 AM »
Thanks for the list. Interesting that I'm familiar with some folks on the list and others I've never even heard of. Just goes to show how fast popularity changes in the internet world.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 03:45:55 PM »
The ones I listed are all intelligent, none of them will waste your time, and they all cover governmental politics really well with intelligent commentary and analysis. Even the styxenhammer guy who is an occultist and is really weird but has penetrating analyses of current thinking.

I've attempted to read a few op-eds recently from the NY Times and the stream of canards and self-superior automatic assumption of liberal "ideals" makes me want to vomit.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 07:08:16 AM »
I hear you about those Op-Eds. Their goal is to convince readers of something based on the writers own opinions. No objectivity there.

I think it's important to recognize the distinction between news sources and opinion / entertainment. The former try to adhere to "good journalistic practices."

The latter try to convince readers of opinions and are often produced primarily for entertainment or money-making. That's why the NYT labels its Op-Eds and consolidates them in the Opinion Section. And why the list you linked to over at NowBuzz is labeled "Entertainment" in red at the top.

In contrast, the news articles in the NYT are subject to standard journalistic practice such as multiple-sourcing, fact-checking, and public error correction.

This is very different from the Op-Eds and "entertainment pundits" like Steven Colbert, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, Rachael Maddow, Bill O'Reilly, Alex Jones, and all the rest. In my experience, those who rely exclusively on entertainment sources for their news often accept incorrect facts and use them in forming their opinions.

Usually at this point in my argument, someone objects to what I just said -- "But the NYT is all biased!"

True. Every news source has unintentional implicit bias. Just look at the huge bias differences between NYT and AlJazeera -- two respected news sources that both try to follow good journalistic practice.

But implicit bias in a news source that follows standard journalistic practices is very different from the entertainment politics that is so popular these days. The latter offer insights, analysis, and some fun... but buyer beware.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:19:24 AM »
But implicit bias in a news source that follows standard journalistic practices is very different from the entertainment politics that is so popular these days. The latter offer insights, analysis, and some fun... but buyer beware.

That's a good point. What I observe happening with MSM generated news stories is that even without injecting obvious bias, they cover what they want to, and they downplay and ignore anything that disagrees with their agenda. But we've already discussed that here.

For example I saw on PBS Newshour over the weekend (very reliable IMO) that Trump signed a bill last week that gave VA hospitals and facilities much wider latitude to deal with incompetency that leads to patience abuse and poor care. NOTHING on TV about that from the big three networks.

NY Times did cover that story: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/us/politics/trump-veterans-accountability-bill.html

If a vblogger or blogger or personality makes an assertion and I want to base my opinions upon it and it sounds off the wall, I will fact check it myself in order to close the loop on facts.

In general the sources I listed have all passed muster. They're not professional journalists but they provide supplementary commentary.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
What I observe happening with MSM generated news stories is that even without injecting obvious bias, they cover what they want to, and they downplay and ignore anything that disagrees with their agenda.

That's really big! I've only realized how key that is in the internet era, where you can easily get info from more diverse sources than the old pre-web days.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 11:27:29 AM »
That's really big! I've only realized how key that is in the internet era, where you can easily get info from more diverse sources than the old pre-web days.

It IS huuuuge. The way the MSM works is exactly like the internet forum practice on some sites (HN, Reddit, JoelOnSoftware, Topix, maybe Slashdot) of shadowbanning. You display an undesirable poster's messages to them at their last known IP address, but their messages are not displayed to anyone else.

The similar shadowbanning that goes on in the MSM is simply omitting stories about anything positive that your enemy political leader has done. It passes unnoticed by most readers/viewers unless they compare your news to someon other contrasting source.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »
very cool. I am checking it out.

Roger about the NY times vomit. Or the washington compost.
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 06:50:56 PM »
I have seen  Karen Straughan, very articulate and a gifted writer. Always a pleasure to read.

Just a Fing dynamite she is.

Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 03:24:21 PM »
I've given up on the NY Times and WaPo because I don't trust them anymore.  Their journalistic standards are lacking and they have a real political bias that prevents them from being objective.  However, if you like crossword puzzles and other types of puzzles, the NY Times has a great archive.  I'm a fan of that.

One of the best sites I've found for news is   https://theconservativetreehouse.com/
There is a lot good commentary and links to valid sources not connected to the MSM that different people post.

This site is a good aggregator for news that you would never hear about.   Its a conservative, pro-Trump site and much more politically focused than Drudge.
https://www.citizenfreepress.com/ 

I've seen Mark Dice.  His shows are a riot.  Geez, its hard to believe people are so uninformed.  I've seen a couple of Bill Still videos too.  He has credibility.  Alex Jones is good.  People look at him as a conspiracy theorist, but most times he's pretty solid and sometimes he gets a scoop on everyone else.