Author Topic: So I upgraded my hardware, finally  (Read 281 times)

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
So I upgraded my hardware, finally
« on: June 10, 2017, 06:59:23 AM »
My 2006 era workstation finally crossed the river and went to Valhalla. I suppose I could keep it on life support, but why.  It was really cool in its time but missing so many critical features standard today. No wifi, no video capabilities, etc. Half of the USB outlets failed.. Yet another disk failure.
Sun Ultra 40 M2 is very power hungry. It was -- and still is a pretty fast computer when you consider the dual CPU power alone.

When your computer sells for $50 on Ebay, maybe it's a sign you should upgrade? I am in the IT field, or so I think.

I upgraded to MSI Titan, the previous generation from 2015. 24 Gigs of RAM, solid state devices and other cool stuff.  I will have to do some research on how to go from RAID 0 that it comes in to RAID 1 and install more SSDs.  It has a couple of 128GB, I want to get the bigger SSD, whatever is on the market right now. 515 maybe?

It's a cool laptop but in name only, it's a desktop replacement. Just one feature makes it worthwhile, the mechanical keyboard. It's the best keyboard I ever had. Increases my typing speed considerably. I really wouldn't want to own another laptop.  I got the 18" as a desktop replacement but for a mobile unit I think they make 15" or so, more compact. Not sure they get the mechanical keyboard though.

The SSD is the most significant improvement in the last oh, 10 years.

Also thinking about replacing my laptop, but maybe not yet. It's almost new, from the 2011 era. It has mechanical drives and really terrible runtime, even with a new battery. I think I get about an hour. The thought to upgrade crosses my mind when a colleague flashed his cool Macbook with a 5 hour runtime and much slimmer.  It was much smaller, I think maybe 13".  But damn, that's what you want for a laptop. Light slim and crazy runtime.

Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
Re: So I upgraded my hardware, finally
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 07:41:49 AM »
No reason not to. Stuff's so cheap and powerful now.

After all, it's owner purchased IT equipment on the premises that the deep state uses to monitor its subjects.  It's your duty to upgrade.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:15:27 AM »
Seems like the sweet spot is to purchase a generation behind. So you get a $3900 machine for a fraction of the price. It's a gaming laptop and optimized for all kinds of cool stuff.

I am sold on the MSI brand now.  No more corporate Dells or Toshiba BS. I have a strange configuration, 2x128GB SSD and one 1-TB HDD.  Not sure what to do with it. Not thrilled with RAID 0 either, what if one drive fails, then I lose the entire cluster.  I like RAID 1 even though it wastes a drive, or so it seems.

They do have a cool ASUS desktop replacement, the same 18.4" screen but 4K now.  I don't think 4K scales very well on such a small screen. IMO, you need a gigantic 32" screen, otherwise things will appear so *tiny*.

The other machine also sorely needs to be replaced by something with SSDs. the advantages are obvious.

Code Refugee

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 09:08:27 AM »
I'm still running a laptop from 2002 and a desktop from 2007 as my primary machines.

I've upgraded both as far as they'll go. And they are fine.

I'm not sure if my phone or my IoT camera are more powerful than the laptop at this point, they might be.

I don't really want to upgrade.

I've got a laptop that's a few months old and runs W10 but I hate W10 so I don't use it much. Also that OS and all the crapware it came with that I couldn't manage to remove has it so bloated it's slower in practice than my 2002 machine. So what's the point. I bet without bloatware crapware and spyware it would be like 20x faster than my old machine. It's not and that's Microsoft's doing.

The main problem is a lot of software won't run on my older machines. Hey, that's their loss.

JoFrance

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 04:12:10 PM »
I have a laptop and desktop that both run Windows 7.  I never upgraded either one to Windows 10, which I consider a big PITA.  I hate that Microsoft built in a lot of defaults in Windows 10 that you have to modify in order to get a decent running desktop.  In some cases, you can't change things with the consumer version of Windows 10.  That is just plain wrong.

If it wasn't for some software that I have that needs Windows, I would move to Linux.

It was definitely time to get rid of your 2006 workstation, unix.  You got your money's worth out of it. 

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
CPU speed is irrelevant, nobody does number crunching anymore. Unless you do complicated Excel or encryption stuff or math or some simulation... Let's get real. 99% of usage is for web stuff and email.

We are not using the computer to compute anything.

It's a social media thing and you need RAM, all these accessories like video camera built-in and microphone and stuff. HDMI/DVI outlets for monitors. I've used DVI for the last 7 years but seems like now it's time to upgrade. I want to run 4K, finally.

My 11 year old Sun Ultra 40 is fast enough for any task today, these dual processors at 3Ghz will crunch through anything. No problems with youtube at 4K, nor Netflix at 4K.  I don't game though, so I don't know, maybe it has terrible performance with these games.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 08:53:22 AM »
CPU speed is irrelevant, nobody does number crunching anymore. Unless you do complicated Excel or encryption stuff or math or some simulation... Let's get real. 99% of usage is for web stuff and email.

One important mass market use that is an exception to this: rendering videos into different formats. It's called transcoding and it's extremely CPU intensive and time consuming.  It's the one use of your PC that will overheat the CPU if you aren't careful.

I got an action cam (like a GoPro) for my birthday and I recorded a bike trip last weekend. For a 1 hour 30 minute total of video I wound up with over 20 GB of raw movie files - MOV format (Quicktime) - 1080p @ 30 FPS, not even the highest quality.

So how does Hollywood stuff an OK quality 2 hour feature length movie into a 4.7 GB DVD? They transcode to a compressed format like MPEG. Also, you have to cut the resolution in order to get the size down substantially. I wound up with a 6 GB single movie. That took several hours to transcode.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
Interesting..

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
One word is all you have to say!!?  >:D :P

Code Refugee

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
One important mass market use that is an exception to this: rendering videos into different formats. It's called transcoding and it's extremely CPU intensive and time consuming.  It's the one use of your PC that will overheat the CPU if you aren't careful.

You are doing it wrong!!!

Obviously you are doing reencoding not transcoding. Transcoding puts the underlying video and audio data in a new wrapper without changing the media data. It happens as fast as your disk can copy. It's also a nice opportunity for tossing out useless chunks, such as malware exploits your file might have if you got it from questionable sources.

I can transcode a 1.5GB BluRay quality 2 hr movie file from X to Y format in a few seconds. On a 700MHz Raspberry Pi that uses 200mW.

For a 1 hour 30 minute total of video I wound up with over 20 GB of raw movie files - MOV format (Quicktime) - 1080p @ 30 FPS, not even the highest quality.

So how does Hollywood stuff an OK quality 2 hour feature length movie into a 4.7 GB DVD? They transcode to a compressed format like MPEG. Also, you have to cut the resolution in order to get the size down substantially. I wound up with a 6 GB single movie. That took several hours to transcode.

Yeah if you have 20GB of files for 90 minutes, that does sound like raw uncompressed video data. So what you were doing was encoding.

QT MOV files are just a wrapper for various other formats inside. If you have the MOV file in H264 for example inside, you just transcode to your mp4 wrapper and that happens extremely fast.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »
You are doing it wrong!!!

Obviously you are doing reencoding not transcoding. Transcoding puts the underlying video and audio data in a new wrapper without changing the media data. It happens as fast as your disk can copy. It's also a nice opportunity for tossing out useless chunks, such as malware exploits your file might have if you got it from questionable sources.

Oooohhhhkayyyy....

I'm using Handbrake to do this reencoding.

What software and settings do you recommend? I do need something that processes much faster which reduces the size of the raw video files.

Code Refugee

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 12:18:45 PM »
which reduces the size of the raw video files

So you are reencoding not transcoding. Handbrake is fine.

For transcoding, use ffmpeg.

Reducing implies reencoding is necessary. The entire file has to be decoded to pixels, reanalyzed, and reencoded.

Transcoding does none of that.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 05:34:37 PM »

No, I am just stunned into silence by that revelation. There goes my entire theory. One simple example disproves it.

I encrypted the entire hard drive of the desktop and that took forever and an hour. I think that too is a computationally intensive task.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »

No, I am just stunned into silence by that revelation. There goes my entire theory. One simple example disproves it.

I encrypted the entire hard drive of the desktop and that took forever and an hour. I think that too is a computationally intensive task.

It's ok. Code Refugee proceeded to put me in my place. Balance is restored.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
Ha.

There goes another word.