Author Topic: So I upgraded my hardware, finally  (Read 465 times)

benali72

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: So I upgraded my hardware, finally
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »
I encrypted the entire hard drive of the desktop and that took forever and an hour. I think that too is a computationally intensive task.

You may be I/O bound rather than CPU bound. Turn on your system monitor duing this task to see. My guess is I/O, esp if you still on an older hard disk. Cheers.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 08:00:36 PM »
Maybe.

The machine is a hybrid of SSD and HDD.  I want to convert it to 2TB SSD, when they drop in price.
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 04:16:53 PM »
CPU difference between the two machines was not as significant as I had expected.

Intel Core i7 6820HK  vs AMD Opteron 2222

Especially in light of the fact my 2007 machine had two AMD Opterons.  They do lack a GPU unit on the processor that the 6820HK apparently has.

I don't know how "real life" meaningful this comparison is.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6820HK-vs-AMD-Opteron-2222

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 03:03:07 AM »

I recovered the data, finally. Took many nights of work, I thought the data was gone for sure. The windows disk crash problem was a relatively trivial one. That was a piece of cake, even after I accidentally deleted the partition table.

The real problem was with cryptography involved, even after recovering the files, I still had to decrypt them. And since I lost the primary disk, that contained the keys, it was a challenge. The volume would not get mounted even after recovered. Various authentication issues inside VeraCrypt.

Turns out the data disk had the keys embedded in the volumes in the good data disk. The disk had to be scanned, byte by byte to recover the header.  I had to use a custom made tool for that situation. But that tool wouldn't run without various libraries.

It was a complete nightmare to the 10th degree.   The most complicated computer thing I had to do in my life. In the context of my ignorance about the PC and Windows disk partitioning. I understand cryptography but not really at the level of source code and *that* was a challenge. I had to get tons of help with the project, could not have done it alone.

The data was priceless of course, not just taxes and various work-related info accumulated over the last 3 years but also pics of posterity, ten of thousands and movies I made and more. It truly was non-replaceable.  And God knows what else. Stuff that you won't know your lost until you need it.  200 Gigs of stuff.

Make backups.

Then make more backups. And more. The computer hardware *is* truly worth nothing.

Then take them off site.  You really don't want a disk crash.  Macrium reflect is a great tool for cloning external disks or disks in a RAID 1 configuration. I  have 4x300GB disks and I used to mirror them once per week or 2 now will change the schedule, before I completely transition  to the new SSD machine.  I could setup a RAID 1 configuration but I like the backup disk to be a day behind in case I wipe out something, then I can always recover.  So I effectively have 600GB, cloned almost daily.

P.S. 4096-bit public-private key cryptosystems are the devil. I finally see that after 20 years of using them.

I should just send it all to the No Such Agency and let them store it for me in the Big Brother Cloud.  I see the light now, Big Brother!!