Author Topic: Place your bets... how long will CHKDSK run?  (Read 379 times)

benali72

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Place your bets... how long will CHKDSK run?
« on: June 28, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »
I'm fixing a Windows 8 pc for a friend. She tells me it's slow for everything she does.  It's a i7 u4500 with 8 gig ram and 1 T hard drive.

I got into Task Manager and found the disk usage was consistently far too high, often pegged at 100%.

I ran PC Doctor hardware diagnostics on the disk drive and it passed fine.

Now I'm running chkdsk /f /r, and it's clear it's found a problem. It been stuck at 27% for three hours!

I've heard stories of chkdsk taking days to fix a drive and conclude naturally.

What's your bet on how long this one will take?

I'll wait up to 4 days if necessary.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
Re: Place your bets... how long will CHKDSK run?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:08:10 PM »
LOL. Doesn't Gibson Research (aka Spinrite) make something better? You'd think there was a decent replacement tool available.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »
Maybe that last voting option should have been --

"You idiot! Why'd you ever run Chkdsk? Now you'll never see your computer again!"

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 06:23:07 PM »
3 days.
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
Anyway, I smell GRC's next product.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29470337-Windows-Alternative-to-chkdsk

https://www.technize.net/5-free-tools-to-check-hard-disk-for-errors-chkdsk-alternatives/

I mean, y'know. Google and stuff... If I had an issue like that I would look for an alternative. All bundled MS utilities since the DOS days just plain suck.

pxsant

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 03:22:07 AM »
You might consider a different approach for detecting and fixing bad sectors.    Look at HDD Regenerator at:

http://www.dposoft.net/hdd.html

I have used this product for some years to fix bad sectors on hard drives.   It is a bit expensive but you can download a test version that will detect and show bad sectors without actually repairing them.   Then you could decide on whether to purchase the full prouct.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 03:28:57 AM »
The good news -- it only took 6 hours.

The bad news -- it didn't fix my problem. This laptop still runs at unreal high disk usage. Darn!

This is one of those Windows bugs they've never fixed. Google the problem and you'll see victims guessing at possible solutions in long threads of frustration where no one really knows the answer.

After two days of working on this, I still haven't hit a solution.

Next up... a clean boot, I guess.

@pxsant -- thanks for the link. I've already verified the disk hardware is working fine and chkdsk passed by fixing only minor problems. But I'm looking at everything, so I'll try the HDD Regenerator, too. Worth a try for hard core verification that this disk is ok. Thanks.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 07:43:16 AM »
Problem is fixed!

The high disk usage is a bug in Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 that Microsoft has never fixed. So you end up chasing down a big pile of guess-work remedies from web forums and trying them out to see which one works. I tried dozens, and none worked for me.

I spent a lot of time checking my disk, but it was fine. Also did a clean boot.

The solution: I disabled Bluetooth on a laptop that wasn't using it anyway, and that fixed the problem.

Very strange. But then that's how bugs are, I guess.

PS - I also took manual control of virtual memory on the computer, setting it to min 3000 and max 8000. Letting Windows manage this itself didnt appear to work as well.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:17:02 AM by benali72 »

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
Your report reminds me of how on one of my machines it wouldn't update for 3 years. Couldn't get it to, despite hours and hours stuck at X% complete.

Eventually found out there is a windows update diagnoser program Microsoft has that finds problems with updating.

Downloaded and ran it and it said "You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded" or essentially that message, listing some fuck ups that they were responsible for, and then fixed them. And then ran through a 18 hr download and reboot cycle.

Less than a week later the first NSA ransomware hit. So good thing I finally "figured it out" which was a process of searching for years until I happened upon the "simple answer" meaning downloading some weird shit I never heard of before.

God help anyone out there that doesn't have multiple degrees and a genius IQ. Those people are fucked, because Windows talks like a fag and its shit's all retarded.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »
...Those people are fucked, because Windows talks like a fag and its shit's all retarded.

Your entire post by far is one of the best and funniest tech criticisms I've read for years. It's so true.

We have an utterly retarded lowest common denominator Camacho-as-president society that demands a Marilyn Vos Savant level IQ to even begin to understand how to deal with.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 09:29:09 PM »
Ok, I finally got this computer working well. Only took about 2 days !

BUT! 
it's Windows 8.  8 is out of support and you have to migrate to 8.1 or 10.

Dare I try the 8.1 upgrade ?

I made a full backup with Macrium Reflect free, but I don't know whether I really want to take on another risky procedure and take my time beyond 2 days on this.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 06:22:47 AM »
Upgrading to an abacus is an ever-temping option.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 07:13:07 AM »
In case anyone cares, here's what linux-boy learned from one of this rare bouts with modern Windows --

* Users should not be forced to upgrade Windows in place. Instead, they should be able to install a new release or version of Windows into a new partition, wiping out the old partition instance after successful upgrade. Upgrade-in-place places users at risk for no good reason.

*  Vendors have become very sophisticated in hiding their startup & background tasks. To reduce startup time Sysinternals' Autorun tool is your best bet. Plus you better check the Task Scheduler... this pc had 68 scheduled jobs and many trigger upon startup.

* Macrium Reflect is a good free tool for OS backup/recovery to protect you during upgrades, etc.

* Classic Shell is a good free tool that fixes the 8 & 8.1 interface

* Task Manager and Resource Monitor are vastly improved excellent tools these days. Nice job Microsoft.

* McAfee acts like malware. It's uninstaller doesn't uninstall the product. It's special uninstaller MCPR doesn't always work either. Not good.

* The hardware vendors (here Dell and Intel) add a lot of overhead. Their stuff adds functionality but also adds complexity and significantly reduces performance.

pxsant

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 07:34:20 AM »
I use Winpatrol to kill startup jobs etc.   I have used it for years and it is very good.

Many uninstallers do not remove all pieces of an application.   Bits and pieces are left here and there.   For a good way to insure that all pieces of an app are removed, try IOBit uninstaller.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »
Cool. I used Macrium Reflect for years. It is a sophisticated version of "dd".