Author Topic: Place your bets... how long will CHKDSK run?  (Read 264 times)

benali72

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: Place your bets... how long will CHKDSK run?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 07:45:08 AM »
Pxsant, thanks for the good recommendations. I'm checking into IOBit. Never heard of it before. Looks very useful. Thank you!

I use Winpatrol because it's the only tool I'm aware of that warns you when programs try to place themselves into your startup lists. I don't see how a person can control his computer without it (or some equivalent tool). In cleaning up this particular computer, I also had to install Sysinternal's Autorun because Winpatrol wasn't able to remove some items from the startup list successfully (Java updater, part of McAfee, and some weird Intel craplet). But the Autorun interface is very poor compared to Winpatrol and of course it doesn't help you prevent new craplets from placing themselves in your startup.

Managing the startup has become pretty complicated between registry entries in various places, Services, the Task Scheduler, etc. It's a great help that Microsoft added a Startup pane to the Task Manager so you can quickly see what apps soak up startup resources.

Another surprising thing I learned from this experience.... on many new laptops you can't PF-key into the BIOS/UEFI firmware! The machines are so fast you can't hit your PF key at the right time. I had to get into the firmware from the hook in Windows 8/8.1. (I hear Linux offers the same through the efimanager program.) I wish intel would just put a 1 or 2 second delay in the boot process so you wouldn't be dependent on the OS hook to access the BIOS/UEFI. I prefer direct access to my machine, but I guess the vendors would rather prevent that. The battle for whether the customer should be allowed to control the computer he paid for continues!

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 02:20:27 PM »
McAfee was always a pain to remove from a PC.  I used to manually edit it out of the registry.  It was a tedious process, but it got rid of it all the way.  There are documents in the McAfee knowledge base that tell you which keys to get rid of.  Just make sure to backup your registry before you do it.  If you feel uncomfortable deleting keys, you can just rename the key so if you need to go back you can.

I've never been a fan of upgrading the operating system.  There's always a gotcha, especially if you run older applications or have older hardware.  I'm still running Windows 7 and will until I can't get security patches for it anymore.  I didn't like Windows 8 at all.  I thought Windows 10 was better than 8 but you really had to customize the installation a lot, especially the security settings.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
I've never been a fan of upgrading the operating system.  There's always a gotcha, especially if you run older applications or have older hardware. 

That's for sure. I feel pretty lucky my 8 -> 8.1 upgrade went smoothly. Upgrades may be pretty routine for some of you sophisticated Windows users like the Gorn but inexperienced as I am with current Windows releases I felt lucky to get through it unscathed.

Whew!

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 05:58:54 PM »
I almost blew up my machine again. Installed a temperature polling app and apparently it made changes to the BIOS.
I could no longer boot.  It lost the fan header. Decided no fans were working and shut down in 10 seconds.
There have not been any BIOS updates since 2010. The AMD board is 10 years old.
Ended up pulling the battery from mother board to clear the BIOS settings, it was certainly a scary event.
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 07:13:40 PM »
Upgrades may be pretty routine for some of you sophisticated Windows users like the Gorn

I completely resent the inference that I am competent with Windows. :P

Glad the upgrade went OK for you.

Windows is software mystery meat. Essentially it's the Bar-S Hot Dog * of software.

* Ultra low grade franks sold by Walmart, Aldi, etc.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »
I completely resent the inference that I am competent with Windows. :P

Hilarious! You made my day!