Author Topic: ’Petya’ ransomware attack goes global  (Read 199 times)

benali72

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: ’Petya’ ransomware attack goes global
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 09:36:41 PM »
Windows --

file sharing on by default
remote assistance on by default
booting without a password is common
complex, insufficient encryption (see https://www.howtogeek.com/234826/how-to-enable-full-disk-encryption-on-windows-10/)

Some basic stuff that could easily be changed to protect users.

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 02:44:40 AM »
I found the stuff about the remote execution tools. So are home PCs and networks without a Windows server on-site not affected?

About 3 times total I messed around with the Group Policy crap in Windows 7 and gave up. Above my pay grade.

For the home, disabling SMB is the most important thing. And of course not clicking on files that you dont know what they are.

I have UAC turned on my family's computers, have the firewall on, the antivirus + some other things.

Code Refugee

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 03:48:59 AM »
The machine I mentioned has Windows Home on it. You are not allowed to adjust the Group settings or disable things. So you can't protect yourself. Either Microsoft patches something or you're screwed because a lot of that stuff is sitting wide open as a sort of spy device to monitor you and you're not allowed to turn it off.

I have another machine with Windows Pro on it that allows editing. It also wouldn't update for years and I fixed it using the same method, and I was also able to manually turn off a lot of those things. However, I've noticed that a lot of that stuff I turn off and then later an update turns it back on without telling me. It takes a long time to find a lot of those settings for stuff I don't want. There's so much of it I can't remember it all. I write stuff down but there's so much stuff I lose the lists of things to do as well.

My goal is to get off this pain train and switch to Linux on everything, but I'm too lazy to really do this.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 06:19:19 AM »
Roger that..

I will work on the dual booting thing, Win 10 on one and Red Hat on another disk..

The machine has 4xSSD and 1xHDD, which can be converted to SSD also, for the total of 5 units.

My old machine had 4xHDD configuration, very cool. You could boot Windows, Solaris, Linux and another Linux. Or do the RAID 1 configuration.

High end machinery is nice.
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.