Author Topic: Making boot disk snapshots with Macrium Reflect  (Read 197 times)

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Making boot disk snapshots with Macrium Reflect
« on: July 08, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »
I hate RAID-0 and don't really care for RAID-1. I love making snapshots as  a way to backup the system.

Just installed 2x512GB "solid state" disks.  Using Macrium Reflect to clone them on a weekly basis. If you wipe out your data, or a virus eats it, you just boot off the secondary SSD and you are back in business. I do wonder if the virus encrypts all the drives on the system, or what. Maybe I should force the backup disk to be offline, I don't know.

The secondary disk is always out of sync with the primary by a few days. The mirroring or cloning process of half-terabyte SSDs takes 25 minutes. This is scary fast considering the same thing on 300GB HDDs took hours. One time I logged 5 hours.

I think if I had RAID-1 and a sufficient number of disks, I would clone the disks anyway, so you have double protection. Mirroring *and* snapshots. Between the two, I will take the later.

Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: Making boot disk snapshots with Macrium Reflect
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 02:36:30 AM »
I was tempted to buy this - are the clones really bootable?

I have Carbon Copy Cloner on my Mac which is absolutely bootable. There are very few packages out there on Windows that do this.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 05:03:28 AM »
Believe me, I've tried it many times over the years.  Come to think of it, I will re-test it again. Last attempt was a week ago.

Good question... test it now while you still have a working primary boot drive and not in a crisis situation.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:30:13 PM by unix »

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 05:06:02 AM »
BTW, The cloning process has shrank to 4 minutes. It seems they must have made some changes to the software. It seems like it maybe does incremental cloning now. There is no way it can clone 512GB in a few minutes. So maybe it's smart enough to analyze the disks, see the delta and throw that on the target SSD.

SSDs are fast..

I  also run the clone process on HDD and it has shrank from 5 hours to about an hour. At the same clarity as SSD.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:36:50 AM »
I was tempted to buy this - are the clones really bootable?

Yes. I've done recoveries with Macrium Reflect Free version and it works great. Very easy to do!  (which is super nice when you're sweating a recovery situation).

If you use the product regularly, I'd highly recommend the paid version. It's much faster. Plus you'll want to get into incremental/differential backups to speed things up.

(I'm only a very occasional user, that's why I only use the free version)

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
It's like a graphical  version of the "dd" command.  They put a fancy interface on it but at its basis, that is all it is. Copying the disk byte by byte.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 05:07:23 AM »
Carbon Copy Cloner on the Mac does a full backup the first time and than only copies the changes. Have to say it works pretty dam good. I wish I had it when I destroyed my Mac when I upgraded from Mtn Lion to El Capitan. I also upgraded the memory, I didnt realize that the RAM was causing the machine to crash continuously. I didnt have the Mac diagnostic dicks but found a Mac utility on the web that did it and guess what? It failed the test, put back the old ram and the problem went away.

So back to Windows I understand what its doing block by block. I believe that the Macrium is one of the few Windows products on the market that is bootable. I know Norton ghost works as I use it but you have a separate Norton book disk. You boot from that and than recover the image. It works pretty good providing you dont have problems with the Norton boot disk.

I have been tempted to try Clonezilla but havent had time.

http://clonezilla.org/

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »
Hardware is worth nothing, it's the software /data that's worth everything.

I use SSD that do nothing but act as clones for the primary disks, and when I upgrade to larger, more expensive SSDs in the 2TB or 4TB territory, I will probably continue that  practice.

It's only a few hundred tokens per SSD module, not a huge deal. First World Problems.

Yeah, they are expensive but much less so than recovering lost data off  a crashed disk being frustrated.

Mirroring snapshots is my first line of defense, backups is the next.   Having experienced issues recently, I now take various factors into consideration.