Author Topic: I finally got an over the air antenna - Mahu 50 curve  (Read 867 times)

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: I finally got an over the air antenna - Mahu 50 curve
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 03:14:03 PM »
Interesting point.

I can hardly keep up with Netflix, cannot imagine how I will keep up with Amazon prime, Hulu and other services.  I am not a professional TeeVee watcher.

Watching RT now, they got Bill O'Reilley there.  My favorite channel these days for their 'alternative' reporting.   Strange things.

I just had an epiphany that I need external speakers. Built-in BS speakers really suck and increasingly so once you are over 'forty'.

Sound quality is just such an overlooked factor -- at least by me.
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
Update to this post: new TV streamer - Fire TV
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »
The $32 Mediasonix recorder box has become too glitchy to use for any recording. Even when watching live TV the box has degraded in reception so much that even strong signals with 80%+ strength constantly have dropouts while watching. It's like watching TV during a bad thunderstorm. I need to contact the manufacturer while it's still in warranty. And this problem developed during use. When I first bought it and hooked it up it was stable and fairly reliable.

I updated the streaming device one more time. I bought an Amazon Fire TV which was on sale on Cyber Monday. It's usually recommended to cure some or all of the playback glitches while watching Playstation Vue (streaming cable tv channels and cable show recording service.) Also it has a program guide that is almost as refined as the ones in real DVR sets - the Roku implementation of the Vue application had you browse only icons for shows and had no program guide, very much like Netflix. And the Roku failed to play many programs that I could play back on my PC or table on Vue. The Fire TV cures all of that.

The downside of the Fire TV box is that it completely favors Amazon content. If you search using its Alexa voice search it first brings up paid Amazon offerings rather than free versions from other services. The Roku program search was not vendor-preferential.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

Zontel

• Occasional User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 10:38:20 AM »
My 22 cent antenna

I was working at this place that had a big screen TV on the wall but it was never used because management did not want to cover the expense.

Some One who did not know me took my bet when I said I could get it working using a Potato.

When I scanned, 14 good channels popped up.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »
cool
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
Some One who did not know me took my bet when I said I could get it working using a Potato.

Impedance matching would be a bitch.  >:D

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Update on over the air TV recording
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
The $32 Mediasonix recorder box has become too glitchy to use for any recording. Even when watching live TV the box has degraded in reception so much that even strong signals with 80%+ strength constantly have dropouts while watching. It's like watching TV during a bad thunderstorm. I need to contact the manufacturer while it's still in warranty. And this problem developed during use. When I first bought it and hooked it up it was stable and fairly reliable.

I contacted the vendor in February while the Mediasonix device was in warranty. They shipped me a replacement, a slightly older version of the same unit.

The replacement unit did not perform quite as badly but it still has a far weaker tuner than the built in tuner on our LG television set. Even strong local stations break up badly.

The vendor did not respond to further contacts.

I even tried to stay with the same concept of small, cheap lightweight DVR by purchasing an RCA branded box of the same type at Wal-mart. It performed better but the functionality was still abominable - it was about the same electronics and firm ware but with a slightly better remote. I returned it ($48.)

Lastly, after we received this year's tax refund I purchased one of these:

https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/tablo-dvr-2-tuner/

The Tablo is similar in concept to the Tivo. I chose Tablo because their channel guide service is much cheaper.

Tablo has their own channel guide service that makes the user interface for viewing and for recording similar to Netflix or a cable service DVR. The main difference  between the two vendors is that Tivo charges $15+/mo for their service and your Tivo is a brick without it. Tablo charges $5/mo, $50/yr, or $149 for a lifetime subscription - far cheaper. Without the channel guide you must enter all recording manually by selecting the channel, the start and end times, etc.

Tablo works this way:

- You supply the USB hard drive or storage (I'm using a 750 GB mini portable Western Digital HD.)
- You plug the Tablo into your local network.
- Table has no HDMI or native video outputs. You must play or stream its recordings or live TV over a network connection.
- FireTV and Roku and Android (and maybe IoS) have Tablo apps.  There is a native interface for compatible web browsers.
- You configure the Tablo using either an app or the web interface.
- Connection is no problem; the apps find the available Tablo on the local network.
- You set series for recording; it records; recordings pile up on a Recordings page in the app of choice; the recording entries contain the graphic for the program from the channel guide.
- You may watch TV on one channel and record from another (on the 2 channel version).
- You may watch a recording in progress and rewind to the start of recording.
- The reception is almost as good as that of the TV set. Maybe a bit weaker - some marginal channels that are steady on the TV break up on the Tablo reception.
- When tuning to a channel not being currently viewed there is about a 10 second delay for buffering, etc.

The Tablo has generally been rock-solid and a delight to use for the last 2 months.

I contacted the vendor directly to report that the original box they sent me was a used unit. They got a replacement out the same week. Support seems to be one guy in a warehouse....

So far, so good.

There was some streaming box based service called "Free Air TV" that I was considering at the same time. It would require purchase of a $100 or so over the air USB HD receiver, and recording was cloud based. I couldn't find enough info about it to get a confidence level.

So in conclusion for now:

If you want reliable over the air recording, be prepared to spend $150+ on a solution, plus subscribe to some channel guide.

And, the small cheap HD converter box recorders are a case of getting just what you're paying for and in my opinion are completely unacceptable for real life use. They promise a lot but are so unreliable and buggy and difficult to use that they are for even my lightweight purposes pretty much useless and too frustrating to deal with.

benali72

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Gorn. Great information.