Author Topic: Hard drive encryption  (Read 656 times)

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: Hard drive encryption
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »
I've run Linux during most the 90's, then switched to Solaris x86 thinking it was the latest-greatest. When Oracle bought Sun, went to Windows and got stuck there. I have plans to unplug Windows and migrate into Linux as all the Unix dot gov world is moving into Linux.

Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 07:05:31 AM »
so I cloned the HDD with Macrium Reflect and tried to boot off the clone and got:

Error: No Bootable partition found

I thought Reflect copied the entire HDD byte by byte creating a clone. Sounds like an issue with the Master boot record, if so, why? I have had no issues for years. Only after running VeraCrypt on it did this come up.

pxsant

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 07:14:15 AM »
Did you clone to an identically sized hard drive or a larger one?   With Veracrypt it may make a difference.   The MBR probably points to a specific location which may not be the same if you used a different size HD to clone to.

Try the same process with Clonezilla to see if the target is still not bootable.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 08:20:30 PM »
What do you use?

For backing up and recovering files, I just use a simple COPY command:    cp   -av    source   target

This recurses and copies everything from the base source directory on down. It also preserves all file ownership and permissions.

It works fine whether or not the data is encrypted.

If you're copying information outside the file system (eg, disk drive formatting info), then use dd:   dd   if=device_name   of=device_name   some-parms-here

My understanding is that Clonezilla does the same thing as DD but is more intelligent because it only copies blocks containing data (not all blocks). So it's usually faster than DD... sometimes much faster. Plus it has a nice interface. And it's smart enough to employ different underlying copy tools depending on the partition type.

As you know, Clonezilla is in fact a full bootable linux OS bundled with its own special-purpose interface and copy tools. I've used it over the years for partition and disk drive imaging and have never had any problem with it.  But for simple data backups, I still just use the COPY command because this works from inside the current OS and does not require booting Clonezilla.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 01:53:02 PM »
The HD are identical. 279GB each.

pxsant

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »
So the drives are identical in size.

Veracrypt obviously does something to the MBR to indicate that the drive is encrypted,  possibly storing the encryption key there.  If it will not boot the drive copy, then I would say that your cloning process did not do an exact byte level copy, otherwise the copy would boot.   I would still say to try Clonzilla as a quick test to see if that produces the same result.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »
For backing up and recovering files, I just use a simple COPY command:    cp   -av    source   target

This recurses and copies everything from the base source directory on down. It also preserves all file ownership and permissions.

If you're only interested in one - off backup or mirroring a drive prior to a major system change, then this is perfectly fine.

Generally speaking, data backup should be an ongoing process. You absolutely need a piece of software that can manage the versions and can perform differential or incremental backups in order to keep down the need for new backup drives as you make successive backups of the same drives.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »
Roger that.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 09:55:58 PM »

If you're only interested in one - off backup or mirroring a drive prior to a major system change, then this is perfectly fine.

Generally speaking, data backup should be an ongoing process. You absolutely need a piece of software that can manage the versions and can perform differential or incremental backups in order to keep down the need for new backup drives as you make successive backups of the same drives.

Agreed. I'm just doing personal data backup and an occasional partition or disk mirror. If you're handling a more complex situation, you need some software to manage it. You need admin interface, logging and tracking, data-onlys, differentials, incrementals, etc. For my simple backups, I prefer not to rely on some intermediary product that adds little value other than making me dependent on it. Thanks.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »
It's a time consideration as well as space and expense.

I back up my desktop every few weeks to a month with Acronis. I use a backup drive and I have the backup plan set to "incremental".

Once my ~700GB partition is initially backed up, which takes overnight, which I only do once every year or two, an incremental backup like those I do on a semi-regular basis takes about an hour and consumes perhaps 30GB of the portable drive.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.