Author Topic: Funny SSIDs for your home wireless network  (Read 336 times)

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
Funny SSIDs for your home wireless network
« on: May 22, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
I have the following always-on (secured) SSIDs on our home network:

MALWAREISFUN
NSA_LISTENING_POST

I have a pocket router I took on vacation last fall. Its SSID is HILLARY_CRIMINAL. So other units in the condo would run across it when connecting to the building hot spot.

Many of my neighbors use their last names and/or street number as part or all of their SSID, which I believe is risky and foolish. I prefer to give people 1/5 of a second of entertainment and mirth.

What about you?
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
Re: Funny SSIDs for your home wireless network
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:36:31 PM »
I don't broadcast mine at home.

When one does broadcast, it's best to make it open access no password and snarf credentials. Don't do anything with the credentials, but looking at the parasitical neighbors viewing habits and bank balances is always fun. Just kidding, ha ha. Er.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
When one does broadcast, it's best to make it open access no password and snarf credentials. Don't do anything with the credentials, but looking at the parasitical neighbors viewing habits and bank balances is always fun. Just kidding, ha ha. Er.

O.M.G.  >:D

Never thought of doing that! You sly dawg.

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:47:57 PM »
Well this is all theoretical and obviously I would never do anything so simple which yields such fascinating entertaining rewarding enlightening and useful results. Nope. Not me.

I've also never heard of tcpdump or wireshark and have no idea what you are talking about regarding them. I am but a simple farmer tending to my memes.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:43:10 AM »
Ha
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:09:22 AM »
Two words: Kali Linux

https://www.kali.org/

The most fun a computer dork will ever have.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 07:31:52 AM »
Well this is all theoretical and obviously I would never do anything so simple which yields such fascinating entertaining rewarding enlightening and useful results. Nope. Not me.

I've also never heard of tcpdump or wireshark and have no idea what you are talking about regarding them. I am but a simple farmer tending to my memes.

The Kekans are such an admirable people and ethnographic group.   ;D

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 04:48:05 PM »
I kind of like Arbeit-macht-frei. It has a nice ring to it.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 05:09:03 PM »
I kind of like Arbeit-macht-frei. It has a nice ring to it.

How about this more marketing oriented version. And you're going to get me in trouble!

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »
Not sure why you would want to broadcast your ssid's. You already know what they are so you don't need to broadcast them. The only point in broadcasting them is to invite others into your network. Is that the purpose here?

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 07:50:51 PM »
Some equipment needs to browse the SSIDs and doesn't have a way to key it in.

In general, you're right. Assuming my network is secured, what is the risk with broadcasting SSIDs?

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 12:48:32 AM »
Not broadcasting the SSID is sometimes criticized because it's security by obscurity. However this is only really the case if you're running without a password or with an obvious one like one given in the SSID itself. Not broadcasting doesn't stop anyone with very modest skills from discovering your network. It does keep casual neighbors from knowing you have a network, which is a modest amount of privacy gain.

Utilities like inSSIDer, NetStumbler, and Kismet of course will capture and show packets sent by all networks. And the SSID is in the header so if not broadcast you easily get it.

Sometimes not broadcasting can reduce one's exposure to warkitting. And you'll be less likely to find your SSID and various device MAC addresses listed with nearby GPS coordinates at https://www.wigle.net/

Lets say your devices are all shut down when the wardriver comes by. With broadcast off no packets are being sent and he doesn't sniff your network. With broadcast on he does. Of course he also discovers your network if you have broadcast off and are doing any data transmitting, which a lot of mobile devices do when you think they should be asleep.

Most likely though they'll catch you eventually. My networks and MAC addresses are not listed on those sites, so far. But those of the neighbor are.

Sometimes you also end up seeing where some random person takes his phone, where they travel to throughout the day and week if there was someone wardriving in their vicinity as they went about their day. This info can often be tied back to a specific home address by poking around.

I prefer to reduce the chances of getting listed on these sites. It's not security, just a very little more privacy.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:27:17 AM by Code Refugee »

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 07:25:13 AM »
I prefer to reduce the chances of getting listed on these sites. It's not security, just a very little more privacy.

A great explanation of the specific privacy issues. Thanks.