Author Topic: Buying hardware one generation behind  (Read 311 times)

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Buying hardware one generation behind
« on: October 27, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »

I don't think I ever bought a shiny new expensive computer in my life.  Well, maybe once and that thing had 8MB of RAM.

The rest of the machines I got since my starving college student days,  I have always gotten them when they were about 2 years old and were pretty high end when new. Given how rapidly technology depreciates and how fast new things are introduced that's not hard. Yet the old tech doesn't suddenly turn into old typewriters. It's still very fast and respectable.

Case in point, just a few years ago, 4K displays were the shiny new fad. Not anymore. Even before it got widespread, it got -- well, *will* get replaced by 8K.  I suppose 4K will become the de facto standard before getting displaced like 1080.   Dell just introduced a stunning new monitor in 8K. I thought it was just a theoretical thing but no, it's reality. Right here and right now. I think it's price is very reasonable given how new and progressive it is. I think it's about 3.5 grand? That's in line with that 4K was when introduced and I think similar to what "regular" HD used to cost when introduced, what, 15 years ago?

I scored a huge 4K monitor for only 750. Damn.  4K prices are hitting the floor. Nobody will pay 2-3 grand for yesterday's technology.

Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
Re: Buying hardware one generation behind
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »
Wise man.

The hardware side of technology has become a ghetto. The bling is attractive for as long as the product launch lasts.  I mean we're talking days or a few weeks at most. And then the device, computer, or whatever becomes a piece of poo to be sold off as refurbished on Woot or some other junkyard. It happens so fast.

It makes me sick to think about spending almost $1000 on a new laptop just to watch it degrade through software, not even through physical abuse. My last $800 laptop was supposed to be the gold standard... Vista turned into a nightmare to keep running, and it took 20 minutes to boot up, so that laptop now has Mint Linux on it.  I'm not going back on the merry go round until there is a dire need.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:31:24 AM »
Gorn,

You are right.

iPhone 10 is out or almost so.. Samsung Note 8 is out and LG has V30 and all of these devices are also to $1000 in price. Just wait a year and they will come down to something more reasonable.

Same thing for computer hardware.  I am waiting for SSDs to crash in price. They have come down substantially over the years when even Joe sixpack can afford one. Well, the smaller sizes like 128GB and 256GB. Smaller is  a strange word when you grew up with 1 or 2GB hard drives (or a lot smaller than 1GB)

I don't monitor what's latest-greatest. I don't think I ever have.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:49:41 AM »
iPhone 10 == SUCK-ERS!!!!

1000 bucks. What the faaaah...q.

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »
iPhone 10 == SUCK-ERS!!!!

1000 bucks. What the faaaah...q.

I aint buying.

I bought a 7 over the summer because I hated my Samsung Galaxy S7 and my iPhone 4 could not be updated. I bought the S7 when the S8 came out. Got almost 50% off but couldnt stand the thing. I don't like the Google requirement to do anything. That and it had lots of software problems - horrible battery life and it would get so hot you could not hold it. My iPhone 4 was essentially bricked as Apple would not allow me to update it and and I could not install any apps in it.

That being said, its way, way to much. I am content to be one generation behind.

I got 6 years out of my last one. If I get 4-5 out of this one I will be happy.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:57:02 PM »
iPhone 6 plus has sweet price on it at this point. I remember when it came - what, about 2 years ago? It went for 800 I think, now it goes for not much more than 200.\

That's a sweet price/performance ratio IMO.  iPhone 7 is just the same thing but waterproofed.

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »
I still have my iPhone 4S, but its getting pretty clunky.  I don't really download many apps, but my iHeartRadio won't load a lot of stations anymore and I can't upgrade that app, so I was thinking about the iPhone 7.

I have a Kindle Fire that I like a lot.  I use that more than my phone.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 06:24:18 PM »
I just checked out Straighttalk's phones for sale page (I'm with StraightTalk and it's been pretty good on the AT&T GSM network). To buy outright:

iPhone 7 plus is $769  >:(

iPhone 5s is $99

iPhone 6 is $199

The somewhat older iPhones are affordable and in the range of lower end Androids.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »
I have a Kindle Fire that I like a lot.  I use that more than my phone.

I have a cheap older model Kindle Fire I bought off Woot this summer for $30. It's cute. But it displays friggin' ads on the unlock screen, which even though they don't exactly get in the way, they irritate the hell out of me.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 04:36:35 AM »
I think my numbers are off then. If iphone 7 is 769, then what does 8 and X sell for.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 08:58:05 AM »
That being said, its way, way to much. I am content to be one generation behind.

I got 6 years out of my last one. If I get 4-5 out of this one I will be happy.

I'm with you, ilconsiglliere. Used to be the computer manufacturers had us on the short leash like this, but now everyone knows you don't need to buy a new computer every couple years. So Apple has transferred that planned obsolescence cycle to our smart phones.  If you can minimize your need for apps, you can still get years out of a good phone.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
re: planned obsolescence

good point. Did you notice how fewer and fewer smart phones have removable batteries? A Li-ion battery is the primary and maybe the only thing that wears out. It can only take a finite number of chargers and that number is not very large. Between 1000 and 1500. And the capacity doesn't just walk off the cliff when you get to charge #1500, it gradually declines.  So a 6 month old iPhone with 200-300 charges on it just does not have the mAh capacity of a new one.

They had several flagship phones where you could easily remove the battery and install a new one without replacing the entire device. 30 minute charging? F-that, it's 20 seconds for me. As easy as removing the back cover and installing a new one.

samsung just released Galaxy Note 8, a fine device but sealed, tiny battery. LG released V30, another fine phablet but again, smallish sealed Li-ion battery, a deal breaker.

Designed to last about a year.

Just f-them. I am currently running Samsung Galaxy  Note 4 which is of 2014 vintage. Will upgrade to LG V20 which is 2016 vintage and keep the same model until they run out of it. No shortage of it on Ebay.

Zerolemon.com

HiredGunn

• Trusted Member
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 05:49:26 PM »
I like my LG G5, I can replace the battery easily and have 4 or 5 of them charging at home.  I was also able to add a huge internal memory card.

I am so glad I left the iPhone a few years ago. The constant spam to sign up for cloud pictures cloud music drive me away.

i was going to build a great home lab workstation with loads of ram for virtual clusters, full tower case but I just cannot commit over on Newegg.  The case reviews are nearly all bad.  I work for a cloud company - private cloud, public cloud but I like to work offline when researching and learning.
All men die, not all men live

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 03:35:05 AM »
Interesting