Author Topic: Best free antivirus  (Read 230 times)

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Best free antivirus
« on: July 05, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »
How much truth is there in this article?

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

benali72

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: Best free antivirus
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »
I have the same question, @unix.

In another thread, I mentioned I've been fixing some problems with a Windows 8.0 machine.  One issue I've had is -- which free anti-virus to install?

The best I could figure out is that most reviews rate Avast and AVG anywhere from average to excellent, and Windows Defender is rated lower. So in the end I picked Avast for real-time protection.

I also installed Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D for batch scans on demand. I like to back up my realtime tool with a batch scanner or two.

Some of you Windows experts please tell me... did I pick good options, or are there better ones I should have picked?  Thanks.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 06:22:59 AM »
these kind of parallel my thoughts also.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 06:43:14 AM »
Benali, I use Avast things here have been stable for years.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 07:05:50 AM »
Am checking it out.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »
Thanks, Gorn, for the confirmation. Stability is exactly what I'm after. I got enough problems trying to relearn Windows to fix this machine.  :D

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »
Thanks, Gorn, for the confirmation. Stability is exactly what I'm after. I got enough problems trying to relearn Windows to fix this machine.  :D

What I based this assessment on:

Been running Avast at least five years and probably longer.

Avast is considered one of the lightest weight, lowest overhead real time AV protections.

I've never known Avast to get in the way of any work I've done. Not even development work. When I was building and compiling C++ on this PC a few years ago, I don't recall the AV flagging the executables, ever. (Some may consider that a security flaw and I'm certain it's been tightened up since then.) Once in a while when I've had problems installing something I have turned off real time protection for a period.

I've never had hassles or problems updating Avast or anything getting hung up.

And, knock on wood - no known infections of either of our PCs in this house while running Avast.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »
I used to use AVG and it became bloated. Than was using Windows Defender, some stuff got in. Thought it was crap. Than I switched to Avast. Been using it for a long time. For anti-virus its lighter than others. But it still can grind on your machine on start up. The free one is now starting to push advertising that pops up on the screen. Somewhat annoying but I can deal with it.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 10:54:37 AM »
I think we used AVG years ago, and for some reason we also switched to Avast, probably for the same reason.

Man, this stuff gets away from you.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
I think we used AVG years ago, and for some reason we also switched to Avast, probably for the same reason.

Man, this stuff gets away from you.

I agree. This is the problem with Windows in general. No matter how diligent you are and how careful you just have to make one opening and you could be destroyed.

Frankly who has time for this? Not me and I am sure most others.

Speaking as a Mac and Windows user I can truthfully say there is a lot less overhead to using the Mac versus Windows. You just dont have to deal with this stuff. The Mac has its issues, no doubt but its better than Windows.

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »
I always used Avast for free antivirus, but I ran Malwarebyte scans from time to time.  That seemed to work, but you had to keep up with it.  I also would run Hijack this to detect startup programs that didn't belong there.

Even though this stuff is all free, when the chips are down they don't keep up with malware and viruses in the free version as well as a pay service like Norton or Trend Micro.  My opinion has always been to pay for a comprehensive virus/malware service.  Its cheap enough and you can depend on it to take care of all of it.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 03:13:59 PM »
... I switched to Avast. Been using it for a long time. For anti-virus its lighter than others. But it still can grind on your machine on start up.

Yeah, my startup on that Win 8.1 machine is 3 minutes before you can do anything, and 5 minutes before the disk I/O calms down. And it's almost all Avast! (I've spent time on it and verified this via the Task Manager Startup Tab). Ouch!  Seems to be a great product in many ways but that startup is too slow.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 06:15:19 PM »
I wonder if it's any faster with a new processor and these new solid state drives.

Has to be.