Author Topic: After 30 Days of Android, I Went Back To Apple  (Read 551 times)

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
After 30 Days of Android, I Went Back To Apple
« on: June 08, 2017, 05:33:11 AM »
About a month ago I scored a Samsung S7 Edge at Wally World (Walmart) for $399 as they were clearing them out because the S8 came out. My iPhone 4 was slowly dying (home button was flaky and cant update the software) so I knew it was time for a new phone - cant complain after having it for 6 years.

I will say that Android is flexible and you can do what you want with it but it has LOTS and LOTS of problems. You will spend enormous amounts of time trying to figure out why you have no memory, no battery left, the phone is freaking hot to the touch and more. Apps just crash randomly and behave inconsistently. The phone app would crash while I am talking on the phone. All kinds of weird stuff, when you go on the web there are tons and tons of people complaining.

The OS itself has all this stuff running and you have no idea why - all sucking power and memory. That expandable memory slot they tout - that only kind of works for some things. Apparently the way Android works - the OS regards the memory card like a USB stick, its not part of the OS memory. You cant always move apps, music and pics to it. It greatly depends, so much for that expandable memory.

The Samsung screen is dazzling but the device itself is very fragile, very easy to break. You have to be careful even with an armored case. I didnt break mine but there are tons and tons of complaints about just bumping it and it shattering.

On top of this Google is extremely invasive - I get the impression that Android is a glorified data gathering system so Google can push advertising to you. There is all kinds of nefarious shit running. They want to suck your whole life into their cloud. One day I was in my google account and I came across this thing showing me where I had been in the last week on a map. Pretty dam scary if you ask me. Oh you dont want the phone pulling email all the time - tough shit, there is no way to turn it off in the Gmail app. The default music player wants to suck your music into Google's cloud. The music player itself sucks, people complain about iTunes, well Google's player makes iTunes look like its made of gold. Its absolute crap.

After a month of constantly trying to get it to work smoothly and not have a dead battery all the time I said the hell with it. I dont have time for this bullshit, I just want it to work.

I walked into an Apple store and bought an 128GB iPhone 7. The Apple tards told me to just take it home, plug it in and tell it to restore my last back up from iCloud. 20 minutes later my phone was working like nothing happened. My phone was talking to my Mac like it was never gone. Only thing I lost was the text messages from the last month which I dont care about.

Now thats freaking seamless, how its supposed to be. I just sold the Samsung yesterday (and yes I got back what I paid for it as I am glad I didnt pay Verizon's prices at $679).

The primary problem that I see with Android is its for tinkerers. Its the equivalent of Windows only worse. You know how with Windows you have all kinds of bullshit problems that you have to figure out WHY its not working after it used to work but now doesnt. Well Android is very similar. You have to dig for answers on the web.

If you want to spend your time debugging your phone, trying to figure out why it doenst work, than good for you. For me, I want it to be an appliance and just work. And Apple is as close to that as you are going to get.

Like many things in life, you dont appreciate something till its gone.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: After 30 Days of Android, I Went Back To Apple
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 05:45:14 AM »
Thanks for the good advice, ilconsigliere.  Apple costs a bit more but their premium is well worth it for the ease of use. I can see the interoperability between their phones and computers makes a lot of sense, too. Thanks.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:13:43 AM »
I know everyone on this board hates Google above all else but one thing about devices. Samsung creates their own Android bundle with their own shitware running on top of whatever Google installs. Samsung does what Windows appliance PC vendors did 10-15 years ago, they put their own stuff on your device on top of the OS. I've read complaints about Galaxy devices being overloaded with Samsung proprietary look and feel and extensions.  Other lesser known brands have cleaner versions of Android.

Yes, Google records all of your history and at least the user level data retention for search history, music or video search, GPS locations visited, etc. can be disabled. The NSA will track you however it wants.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 07:36:30 AM »
I've mentioned before I have an Android phone and I like it. I paid less than $20 for it new. I replentish minutes with cards I buy for cash and have never used my real name. I keep it in a faraday sleeve most of the time. I shut it down when not in use. I removed all the Google apps I could. I use it as a mobile phone. I have a separate VOIP phone for normal business and personal calls. On the mobile I regularly delete the call log.

As a burner all these are useless since I'm sure at some point I must have forgotten to sleeve it when near my house, work, or places I regularly frequent. Also I call people I know, that is trivial to trace back.

A real burner would need to be bought with cash far far away using an older model car and old new stock tires without the wifi valve stems required on all tires these days. Then recharged in a cave deep below the earth's surface. And eventually only used once, then incinerated (without the lithium sparky video requested here).

The camera on this is lousy, but it makes a good mp3 player and personal recorder. I'm sure info about all my music and the audio fingerprint is routinely uploaded to google servers and analyzed though. I don't install any apps because apps all have absurd requirements that have nothing to do with their functionality that mean they are actually spyware and not really apps.

With the SD card thing, the SD card before version 5 was almost the same as internal flash memory. They had to change this because important files got put there, then the users would pop the card and apps would stop working right or disappear. Users complained about this, so the solution was to cripple the SD functionality.

Anyway yeah for actually using for lots of stuff like maintaining a contacts list and a notepad and camera etc, Apple is better because it is more secure. Sort of. The fingerprint to open courts have ruled you have to give if requested by law enforcement, so that's less secure than the password which courts have ruled you don't have to give.

On the other hand, making it more secure and harder for hackers and governments to steal data appears to have simply created a new market for insiders:

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/

Chinese authorities say they have uncovered a massive underground operation run by Apple employees selling computer and phone users’ personal data.

Twenty-two people have been detained on suspicion of infringing individuals’ privacy and illegally obtaining their digital personal information, according to a statement Wednesday from local police in southern Zhejiang province.

Of the 22 suspects, 20 were Apple employees who allegedly used the company’s internal computer system to gather users’ names, phone numbers, Apple IDs, and other data, which they sold as part of a scam worth more than 50 million yuan (US$7.36 million).

The statement did not specify whether the data belonged to Chinese or foreign Apple customers.

So Apple has all this security, then they put all your private data on servers overseas where it is not encrypted from their eyes, and they let random employees wander in and copy it. Hm, well now.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:43:32 AM »
so that's less secure than the password which courts have ruled you don't have to give.

You sure about that?

A Hollywood man must serve 180 days in jail for refusing to give up his iPhone password to police, a Broward judge ruled Tuesday — the latest salvo in intensifying legal battles over law-enforcement access to smart phones.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article153373524.html#storylink=cpy

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 07:49:21 AM »
Hm, interesting, I guess it depends on the judge. Probably will have to go to the SCOTUS then to be resolved.

edit: ... well in this case he did give his password to police and it didn't work. Probably they screwed up entering it and got locked out after 10 tries. So the judge ordered him put in jail, saying he must have lied about the password. Judge doesn't know that. I don't know the password to most of my stuff myself. I definitely couldn't tell you what some password from six months ago was since I change them frequently. Based on that article the legal principle seems to be damned if you do damned if you don't. So just don't since you're going to get screwed anyway!

edit2: We need stuff like this for bringing files through customs.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:00:52 AM by Code Refugee »

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »
I know everyone on this board hates Google above all else but one thing about devices. Samsung creates their own Android bundle with their own shitware running on top of whatever Google installs. Samsung does what Windows appliance PC vendors did 10-15 years ago, they put their own stuff on your device on top of the OS. I've read complaints about Galaxy devices being overloaded with Samsung proprietary look and feel and extensions.  Other lesser known brands have cleaner versions of Android.

Yes, Google records all of your history and at least the user level data retention for search history, music or video search, GPS locations visited, etc. can be disabled. The NSA will track you however it wants.

I dont hate Google but I trust them less and less every day.

What you say about Samsung creating their own shitware is very true. I was aware of it when I bought it but I didnt realize how bad it was till after I had it. That being said its not just Samsung's shitware, Verizon puts their own bloated shitware on it as well. None of it can be uninstalled as they all think they are controlling the user experience. From what I can see Samsung wants to be Apple minus software that actually works well. So what most users do is they stuff the shit they cant uninstall in a folder somewhere on the phone where they dont have to see it but its still there.

From my reading Motorola's version of Android is very clean compared to Samsung and others but its not as clean as the Google Pixel. Apparently the Pixel is not selling well as Verizon keeps attempting to give them away. I think a lot of people would prefer the native Android without all the extra shit on it.

One thing I can say though is Google's Gmail and Play apps suck. On the Samsung they require you to have a Google account and its deeply embedded all over the phone. So you put in your Google account and than its sets up Gmail on the phone.

The Gmail account seems to work except for the fact that you cant turn it off. It pulls email whether you want it or not, tough shit. That I dont like. I dont like any phone including my iphone to pull email automatically. I have it normally turned off.

Same with Google Play - it sucked in a couple thousand songs off my iPhone and it took a while to figure out where the hell it stuffed them. I downloaded other audio apps and I could not get them to work as the phone had stuffed someplace that was not the standard place. That Play app is deeply embedded as well - but the options to control it are primitive at best. You cant sort by Album, Artist nor Song. At least I could never find it.

Than we have the phone app itself. I do use the phone quite a bit and have to say it did kind of suck. The iPhone as a phone works and its intuitive. Not so with with this. Again it might be Samsung's garbage, that I dont know. I do know that it and its voicemail stuff drove me crazy and it would crash.

When you would charge it would get crazy freaking hot. Hotter than any phone I have ever had. So hot it scared me and I was afraid to leave it plugged in if someone was not in the room with it.

I am not totally down on Android but the big thing for me is it has to work without me screwing with it. I dont want to waste enormous amounts of time trying to figure out why stuff isnt working. I want it to be appliance or car like. I use it and know nothing :) .

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »
This is a sample of what I am talking about with the phone app:

http://thedroidguy.com/2017/01/fix-samsung-galaxy-s7-cant-make-receive-phone-calls-plus-call-related-issues-1060383

Seriously - you cant make/receive phone calls? And I have to debug it? Come on.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 08:52:45 AM »
A bit over a year ago I bought a second-tier branded smart phone - the Blu HD 6, a 6" GSM phablet style phone. In general life has been very good with it. Decent (not great) battery life, fairly reliable, good sound quality with a Bluetooth earpiece, and few crashes of apps, no overheating or weird disabling of basic features. It was only $120 unlocked so for the price it's a great value (and it still works!)

The only gripe with it is that location services (GPS) work only when the Google Map app is running. I can't use a GPS hiking app on this phone and have it record data.

It had none of the app clutter that I encountered when I got a Samsung smart phone a few years before. Before that I had a very basic LG smartphone on the Virgin network that was OK also.

Android has a basic POP3 mail client app bundled with the OS which I think allows you to tailor the fetching. The icon is yellow with an @ sign.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
A bit over a year ago I bought a second-tier branded smart phone - the Blu HD 6, a 6" GSM phablet style phone. In general life has been very good with it. Decent (not great) battery life, fairly reliable, good sound quality with a Bluetooth earpiece, and few crashes of apps, no overheating or weird disabling of basic features. It was only $120 unlocked so for the price it's a great value (and it still works!)

The only gripe with it is that location services (GPS) work only when the Google Map app is running. I can't use a GPS hiking app on this phone and have it record data.

It had none of the app clutter that I encountered when I got a Samsung smart phone a few years before. Before that I had a very basic LG smartphone on the Virgin network that was OK also.

Android has a basic POP3 mail client app bundled with the OS which I think allows you to tailor the fetching. The icon is yellow with an @ sign.

I hear you on the above. I would never want a phone that was full of manufacturer or carrier bloatware again.

I didnt have a basic Pop3 mail client, it was the Samsung email client or the Google Gmail client. The Gmail one couldnt be turned off. Otherwise I could install another email client altogether ;).

Does this phone require you to have a Google account?

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 09:06:40 AM »
I'm not certain yes or no. I would think you can default out. But as far as I know you must be logged into Google in order to use the play store.

Another option for installing apps to Android devices is to side load the app from an .apk file. But the APK has to come from somewhere, such as another Android device that is logged in to Google.

Pxsant on this forum is also a fan of the Blu phones.

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 10:41:43 AM »
Google Play can sort of be bypassed. There are sites that cache apk files from there. Can these be trusted not to have malware? Of course not. Can we verify they have the same hash signature as the originals? Not normally. Are the nefarious entities and their malware here less nefarious than Google Play? I personally believe yes, though that's a pretty pathetic endorsement.

Best to segregate. Put the garbage ware fun time kid stuff games on a cell phone that is not activated and only load apk there and use for absolutely nothing personal. Disable everything else. It's your sacrificial malware. Your sacrificial malware has to go somewhere, and if it's your primary device then you are totally compromised aren't you. Maintain a separate hardware phone with your business stuff and absolutely nothing that isn't totally necessary. Let minimalism be your guide here.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 10:53:24 AM »
Just out of curiosity - does anyone know which of the Android phones is the least modified by the manufacturer?

pxsant

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
Just out of curiosity - does anyone know which of the Android phones is the least modified by the manufacturer?

I have owned a number of brands and based on personal experience, I would say the Blu phones.

For example, most Android phones will check with your provider each time you attempt to use the phone as a hotspot.   If your provider does not allow hotspots, that ability is disabled on the  phone.    The Blu phones do not verify anything with the provider and will allow hotspots by default. 

I have no junk apps which were installed on any of my Blu phones - I have two and my wife has one.

The POP3 client Gorn mentioned - on my phones the icon is a white envelope with a yellow letter/card sticking out with an @ sign.

==================

One downside to the Blu phones.   They have sealed batteries so you can't easily replace them if they go bad.   There are YouTube videos on how to replace them and you can buy replacements on Amazon or eBay.

On battery life, my phone was disconnected from the charger at 5:30AM, I have used it a number of times today and it still has 69% of the charge available.   I have never had to charge the phone during the day.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:16:56 PM by pxsant »

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »
There are some absolute no-name chinese brands that have absolutely nothing added because the maker has no infrastructure. They are just some guy and his family in a hut slamming together phones. Not that I recommend these at all I don't.

If you want real security by the way, there are some DIY phones out there.