Author Topic: After 30 Days of Android, I Went Back To Apple  (Read 330 times)

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
Re: After 30 Days of Android, I Went Back To Apple
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »
Your sacrificial malware has to go somewhere, and if it's your primary device then you are totally compromised aren't you. Maintain a separate hardware phone with your business stuff and absolutely nothing that isn't totally necessary. Let minimalism be your guide here.

Ok, Mr. I Live In a Whole House Faraday Cage and Even Then I'm Not Really Feeling Very Secure...  >:D ;) :P

Nya nya, by the way... all in good fun... honest... :)

What do you expect to happen to your finances, your reputation, your legal status... if you were to ever let your guard down?

I'm asking because I would presume that the first reaction of a true police state to someone isolating their electronics and computer assets in this comprehensive a manner would be to double down on surveilling you.

After all, YOU MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE, BUDDY!

I bet at least one person on this forum is on a no-fly list somewhere even after taking all precautions.

I'm a fatalist about this stuff in my own case. Just curious what your end game is with this operating philosophy.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
One downside to the Blu phones.   They have sealed batteries so you can't easily replace them if they go bad.   There are YouTube videos on how to replace them and you can buy replacements on Amazon or eBay.

On battery life, my phone was disconnected from the charger at 5:30AM, I have used it a number of times today and it still has 69% of the charge available.   I have never had to charge the phone during the day.

Same experience here with battery life.

The Blu's are very good, basic, underrated, minimally featured, fairly cheap phones, at least the one I own I consider as such.  EG: the back facing camera is terrible to mediocre, there is no magnetic field detector (IE, no compass function) and as mentioned the GPS functionality went bye-bye for no good reason a while back.

You're really getting your money's worth with these phones. They're also not trendy in the least.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »

Apple does not take aftermarket high capacity batteries. Such as ZeroLemon that extend your runtime to 2 days. Most android phones don't accept them either but some do, like LG v20, Samsung Galaxy S5, etc.
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

Code Refugee

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »
What do you expect to happen to your finances, your reputation, your legal status... if you were to ever let your guard down?

Well, for me, nothing since I'm a super boring guy that has never done anything illegal beyond the usual going 57 in a 55. If I was actually skirting the law I'm sure I'd be completely screwed since I doubt any opsec we mere mortals can do amounts to anything against a determined surveillance state.

I'm asking because I would presume that the first reaction of a true police state to someone isolating their electronics and computer assets in this comprehensive a manner would be to double down on surveilling you.

After all, YOU MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE, BUDDY!

I bet at least one person on this forum is on a no-fly list somewhere even after taking all precautions.

I'm sure they do, and I have run into problems at the airport where it was clear I was marked for special handling.

Just curious what your end game is.

I don't think there is one? It's like this. Oh hey I need a phone. WTF is all this bullshit this phone comes with? It's GPS tracking me? No! F this s! <googles furiously> OK, I'm going to do all that. Down with the man! Anarchy 4evar!

I'm trying to be humorous while saying the real truth of my reasoning, but what it boils down to is I have an intrinsic fundamental basic human right to privacy, as part of my basic right to human dignity, and this right transcends all laws and bills of rights which don't protect it anyway and are generally useless. Which means this right is up to me to protect. So I do, even if it is futile which in probably is my basic attitude here is suck it and f u all etc. I'm not doing anything wrong, so suck my !&(# obama and your nsa. lol.

Google and the NSA tracking our coming and going with GPS and putting it on their server for them and their partners to look at is not only not ok or cool on any level whatsoever, it is an extremist crazed violent act against human rights and dignity and they definitely are much worse than the nazis ever were in this regard and that's a basic provable fact. I assert I have a fundamental basic human right to protect myself against their extremely extremely wicked and evil acts of persistent total global surveillance.

One might say, hey you (I) acknowledge that it is futile, so why bother? Well I struggle and resist because I am human. It doesn't matter that it's futile. I still push back.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:46:03 PM by Code Refugee »

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
One might say, hey you (I) acknowledge that it is futile, so why bother? Well I struggle and resist because I am human. It doesn't matter that it's futile. I still push back.

Got it. I agree completely. Thanks for writing that. That's a darn good manifesto.

I am a weaker, mediocre person with less strength of character to push back.

So it's like for me "yeahhh, I'll just log into Google... it's EASY!"

I do mean that sentence, I'm not being faux anything. After a while I just give up.

Code Refugee

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 07:09:19 PM »
Oh yeah and I can relate to that approach too.

I remember reading Richard Stallman's manifestos and thinking, man this loser is crazy. He's  got all this BS to defend against something that's never going to happen. What an extremist wacko!

Now here I am running Linux for a lot of my stuff sheepishly thinking, jeez, that guy was right about all of it.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 07:33:17 PM »
I don't feel like I'm being butt raped TOO badly on the privacy stuff. Google has a comprehensive suite of services that in a previous age would cost quite a bit per month or as shrink wrapped software. I use Google services of my free will. It's an exchange.

I do have choices. And I'm geek enough to realize those choices. It's just not a good use of my time in my estimation. But I see where you're coming from too.

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 02:03:26 AM »
I don't feel like I'm being butt raped TOO badly on the privacy stuff. Google has a comprehensive suite of services that in a previous age would cost quite a bit per month or as shrink wrapped software. I use Google services of my free will. It's an exchange.

I do have choices. And I'm geek enough to realize those choices. It's just not a good use of my time in my estimation. But I see where you're coming from too.

I agree but there is no reason to blatantly just hand over everything to them on a silver platter. I discovered them doing this while I had my Samsung:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2746703/google-maps-timeline-why-a-little-known-google-feature-tracked-me-for-months/

https://blog.google/products/maps/remember-where-youve-been-and-what-youve-done-your-timeline-ios/

We all know they do this but its reality sharing when you see something like this. No thanks. There are lots of other map services. Here are 2 others that work very well, thank you very much.

wego.here.com

maps.randmcnally.com

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 07:15:27 AM »
Thanks for those links. Google throws so many services at you and they're so well integrated with the single sign-in that I don't realize what stuff they're tracking. Which I guess is kind of the point from their end.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »
Thanks for those links. Google throws so many services at you and they're so well integrated with the single sign-in that I don't realize what stuff they're tracking. Which I guess is kind of the point from their end.

Yep, I agree. Its one stop shopping and make it so easy to log on and stay logged on everywhere you go on the web. It didnt really used to bother me that they could see everything you did.

My awareness started as a little itch having to do with bookmarks. For years I have preferred to keep my bookmarks in a central place - at one point it was on a single computer in the house and I used to move the bookmarks to the other computers by hand. Got to be to much of a hassle so I started using Google's bookmarks service.

It started to creep me out that they could see all the things I had bookmarked beyond email. Basically all your interests. I dont use it any longer, years already. I use Pinboard instead and it has nothing to do with them.

As of right now I only use their email and sheets app. But as of late I am starting to think that I should abandon their email as well... We shall see.

David Randolph

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »
I have a cheap Android phone (Alcatel). Ever so often, I go to settings, applications, and go down the list clearing all data or at least clearing the cache for each application. I have also uninstalled all updates in the past. The phone works a lot better when I do that.

Google mail on the phone? I set it up with a bogus email account. I have never even checked to see if there are any messages on it. The Google mail on my phone does not link to any of the more official email accounts I have.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 11:15:54 AM »
I have a cheap Android phone (Alcatel). Ever so often, I go to settings, applications, and go down the list clearing all data or at least clearing the cache for each application. I have also uninstalled all updates in the past. The phone works a lot better when I do that.

Google mail on the phone? I set it up with a bogus email account. I have never even checked to see if there are any messages on it. The Google mail on my phone does not link to any of the more official email accounts I have.

What you did is smart.

I bought a cheaper Samsung tablet for my elderly father and the Google invasiveness was there as well. If you downloaded any apps Google requires you to have an account.

I have not quite figured out how to log out out of the device yet though.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »
Someone on this board needs to research the cheapassed knockoff Chinese tablets that are made by vendors too poor to customize the OS with malware. Code Refugee has done some of this but I can never find stuff at the price points he quotes.

Code Refugee

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »
I don't actually use any of that $3 postage paid from China on the slow boat crap after amusing myself to verify it works.

However, the phone I use day to day was in fact not only under $20 USD shipping included for a no-contract month-to-month phone, but I bought it here in the US.

Spoiler: it was just a low end WalMart special they run from time to time. But I like it. Voice quality is great. Coverage is fantastic. The camera is lousy, close to useless.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 12:07:31 PM »
What's the make and model?

Shitty Walmart phones rule! I'm using a $13 Samsung flip phone on a Verizon prepaid account.

There's tremendous merit in treating a piece of Android tech like kleenex.