Author Topic: A coworker passed away  (Read 403 times)

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
A coworker passed away
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
He was in his sixties. Not particularly talkative. He did regularly miss 2-3 days a week for months and everybody knew something was up but it still came as a shock to many. Saw him on Friday and he was fine.  Always sat by the cafeteria, reading his tablet.
Not there on Monday and the news broke Tuesday morning.  No idea what happened.

Human life is fragile as hell. Here today, gone tomorrow. All your shyt thrown put in a box and shipped to the known family.
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

JoFrance

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: A coworker passed away
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
That's always hard to deal with even if you didn't really know the person.  Its something that no one wants to think about.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »
I probably mentioned this a while back. I worked in a department where the guy in a cubicle next to me over a divider shot himself one weekend when he drove back to DC.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:38:51 AM »
Sorry, Unix. As JoFrance said, it's something none of us likes to think about. I hope you're ok and processing it ok.

Wow, Gorn, that's pretty extreme. I guess these things happen.

I remember a work party I attended some years ago. Four of the people there got killed in an auto wreck on the way back to work.

Time to update my checklist of things I want to do before I pass on.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 04:56:30 AM »
I probably mentioned this a while back. I worked in a department where the guy in a cubicle next to me over a divider shot himself one weekend when he drove back to DC.

You did. I remember. Damn. There is no reason for this 99.5% of the time. Unless you are so sorely terminally ill or something - but most of it is just mental / emotional /spirutual problems.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 06:16:06 AM »
It was a DoD contractor place (now a division of Hughes) and the guy was apparently an ex-Air Force contractor, some officer type, who'd been hired to support one of our programs. My understanding was that he was divorced or in the process of, and was commuting on weekends between Ft. Wayne and DC. I remember getting palpable feelings of extreme sadness when I sat in that cubicle. Sort of a weird ESP or precognition thing IMO.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 01:37:12 PM »
Sometimes people become so overwhelmed with life's problems they can't take it anymore.  To them, death seems like the best solution.  Maybe if he had a trusted friend or spiritual advisor that he could have talked out his painful feelings with that could have helped him.  I'm sure the divorce and such a demanding job situation was just too much to bear.

Men have a tendency to keep their feelings bottled up and it isn't good.  If you don't find an outlet for them they just get worse and eat away at you.  I'm sure that negative energy is what you felt from the guy in the next cubicle, Gorn.  Unfortunately in our society there is still such a stigma associated with mental problems that people try to hide them instead of reaching out for help.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 02:11:26 PM »
The technical term for such an ailment is "cognitive disability"

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »
Its horrible sadness and when someone is in that state of mind they can't see any way out.  Its like a cognitive disability where someone tunes out, but the difference is life changes caused the event.  Prior to the events that happened the people didn't have the problem.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »
Yeah, I hear you.

I've always wondered something.  I get the Christian ethic and stuff. Suicide is wrong. But what if one gets diagnosed with some horrible, fatal, non-curable disease, brain tumor and stuff. What is the point of suffering in bed until the end?

I really don't get the point.

I don't think we should follow Holland and their solution, it is a road leading nowhere. But, there are always exceptions. I think going peacefully in one's bed or some hospital, hooked up to all these tubes and needles and shyte, is not validating me as a human being.  Go out with fireworks. LOL

I walk by his cubicle, it's sad. He didn't have any friends, old age.  Forgotten already.

David Randolph

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 05:44:15 AM »
Make sure that you have your "Do Not Resuscitate" form filled out. With that, you state that you do not want to be a vegetable stuck unconscious in a hospital bed used only for moving money from your accounts into theirs. 

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »
I should have it tatooed on my chest . Lol