Author Topic: Temp work in Europe  (Read 89 times)

benali72

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Temp work in Europe
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:50:09 PM »
I guess I have always assumed we have greater employee instability (more temp work, gig economy, contractors) than in Europe.

Apparently, that's not the case, according to this article from the NYTimes -- www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/business/europe-jobs-economy-youth-unemployment-millenials.html?_r=0

Supposedly they have a large contingent workforce just like we do. And people are unhappy with the instability of it.

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: Temp work in Europe
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:24:25 AM »
My friends in the UK say its a cesspool of body shops just like here. There is a huge Indian/Pakistani population that get preferential treatment as minorities. Same as here in the US.

TechTalk

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: Temp work in Europe
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:09:10 AM »
In the USA, I believe Obamacare is partially responsible for the recent increase in part-time job openings while in Europe some of blame can be placed on labor laws which make it more expensive or difficult to fire employees.

Although laws/regulations can sometimes hurt the very people they are intended to help, by no means does that fact alone come close to explaining what has been going on in the American and European job market for the last 20-30 years.