Author Topic: Rant on today's mindset about User Interfaces  (Read 304 times)

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
Rant on today's mindset about User Interfaces
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:06:29 AM »
As a social media/web development maven I see a very strong push in the design direction of "subtlety" and "not being obvious" in websites and software products. It's across the board.

This is in addition to the idea of making all devices including desktop OSs look like mobile platforms.

An example of this was the elimination of 3D rounding of buttons in Windows and on websites. After about 2005 using such appearance was deemed amateurish and totally uncool.

For example, if you have a floating UI element like a checkbox, it's just absolutely forbidden by today's design ideology to make it a distinct color like red, for easy viewing. Or, buttons don't show border boxes unless you hover over them with a pointing device.

The overall net effect is that software becomes tedious and frustrating to use, when designers get all faggoty and elegant and make stuff "subtle".

For example: I was designing a web page a few days ago using a popular WordPress theme.  I had already set a background image in one UI module. The theme recently discontinued having a text box containing the name of the image file next to the image shown in the designer. It used to be that you simply deleted out the image name by typing deletes in the file name box, and then saving the module, and the background image was gone. Well, now they have no explicit way to remove a background image. I bitched on their support forum and one guy volunteered that the background image preview now has a "X" close box in the upper right corner of the preview in design mode. You click that X close box and the image is removed.

Well lah de fucking dah!  >:D

The only problem with this "elegant" approach is that these homos tweaked up the elegance even MORE by making the close icon white and without any contrasting border lines.

I HAD A WHITE BACKGROUND IN THE IMAGE SO I COULDN'T SEE THE X. Once I was told this, I removed the image by clicking where I thought it would be and after a few clicks I got it.

So wasteful, inconsiderate and stupid.

I want software that SHOUTS the important stuff at me. To today's transgendered fairy assed software designers, software must speak to you in hushed, muted tones while sipping its chai and milk.  :D >:D
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

unix

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: Rant on today's mindset about User Interfaces
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
User interface is my fav bitching subject.  I could on for eons about it.
Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 03:23:12 AM »
OK you got my attention on this because this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I HATE this flat interface stuff. The interfaces have become unusable because of this flat design garbage. Like most IT people I spend a huge amount of time on the computer. I don't want to have to figure out how to use it, the panels and controls are unusable.

It started with Microsoft, than spread from there. In the case of Apple, Joney Ives who is head of their design stuff loves this minimalism. If Jobs was alive this would have never happened at Apple. Jobs loved skueomorphic design. Apple before they flattened out the screen had the most beautiful interfaces. Now its trash.

Once Microsoft and Apple did it, it spread from there to everywhere else. Whats wrong with skeuomorphic stuff? NOTHING. Oh you are offended by shiny buttons and interfaces that look like leather? Some examples that really burn my ass:

*Skinny fonts that are hard to see for anyone that is not 20 years old with perfect vision.

*Dark gray fonts (usually skinny) on light gray backgrounds. Seriously? Could you make the contrast any worse.

*Text labels that are really buttons - how the heck am I supposed to know its a button as opposed to all the other crap on the screen.

*Icons that look like stick figures that mean nothing.

*Lack of color. They seem to be obsessed with white everything. Why is everything white?

*That crap with the little dots up in the corner (.....) that you are supposed to know is a control panel for the application. How is anyone supposed to know what that is and what its for?

*Obsessed with transparent panels with text on them that are hard to read?

Seriously this is better? What is so wrong with buttons looking like buttons in the real world? Or steel looking like steel?

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 03:26:32 AM »
IMO the flat design has ruined both IOS, OS X and Windows. Here are some interesting articles about it.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/flat-design/

http://www.vandelaydesign.com/why-the-flat-design-trend-is-hurting-usability/

http://www.elischiff.com/blog/2015/4/7/fall-of-the-designer-part-i-fashionable-nonsense

Frankly hate I hate it and want my glossy buttons back.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 07:41:58 AM »
Yes, preach it.

Think of confused, mentally deranged transgender types obsessed with political correctness in UIs. The average user interface today is like an NPR host speaking in hushed tones about diversity topics.  >:D :P

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »
Joining in on this pile on. I agree with every single one of all your criticisms of contemporary UI, and have often made the same complaints myself. It's universally stupid and the "designers" should not use that term, as it implies a minimal amount of professionalism and competency.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
Am I wrong to cast today's self absorbed, self indulgent user interface deficiencies in terms of character, strength and deviant sexuality?

I think not. Weaklings and pussies whisper and mumble. Real men or real women SAY WHAT THEY MEAN.

The user interface of today does not say what it means. It's passive aggressive. It whispers.

Just like any cuck. Or beta who joins antifa so they can look like a ninja.

pxsant

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »
Don't blame transgender types or liberals for the UI designs out there today.   This is all the young punk idiots coming into IT in the last 10 years who want to make their mark on the world and have absolutely no common sense.   Worse yet are the high level managers and CEO's of these organizations who go along with this UI crap at everybody's expense.   They should know better.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »
Don't blame transgender types or liberals for the UI designs out there today.   This is all the young punk idiots coming into IT in the last 10 years who want to make their mark on the world and have absolutely no common sense.   Worse yet are the high level managers and CEO's of these organizations who go along with this UI crap at everybody's expense.   They should know better.

I know, I just make everything into a culture wars deal because I like to.  :P

The reality is just what you said, and even more: It's the design fashion of our time. Just as Bauhaus was an architectural and design standard in the 20s and 30s.

It's how you make things look right now in order to be commercially and socially accepted. And software is mostly about social acceptance, since functionality is a long solved problem.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 08:51:20 PM »

I know, I just make everything into a culture wars deal because I like to.  :P

The reality is just what you said, and even more: It's the design fashion of our time. Just as Bauhaus was an architectural and design standard in the 20s and 30s.

It's how you make things look right now in order to be commercially and socially accepted. And software is mostly about social acceptance, since functionality is a long solved problem.

I know quite about Bauhaus design which I consider to be absolute shit. Ironically I started college as a fine art student and than got into IT because art doesn't pay.

Bauhaus basically stripped down everything of all ornamentation and made it purely about the machine and so-called function. All these glass skyscrapers that look like glass cubes are Bauhaus, the so-called International Style. One big problem with Bauhaus design is it rarely works. Examples include flat roofs that leak, all that glass that cooks you when inside, everything is painted white. Everything is cold, unyielding and freaking uncomfortable. You get the idea. I went through a phase when I was younger where I like the look inside a house, than one day I looked around and said holy shit my house looks like the inside of an office. That was the result of my girlfriend at the time who kept saying it was cold and ugly. I didn't see it but one day I got it. Now I despise it.

Anyway, all this flat design which is stripped of all ornamentation. Same exact deal as Bauhaus - its supposed to be all about the information. In the case of Apple, Ives is a huge fan of Bauhaus and minimalism.

Here is a good article about so-called modern design.

https://jaysanalysis.com/2013/01/16/cultural-marxism-modern-art-and-hipsterism/

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 09:32:11 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. TIL (today I learned), seriously.

I made an extremely good choice for a comparison with a style trend. It was unconscious at my end. Cool!

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 07:00:51 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. TIL (today I learned), seriously.

I made an extremely good choice for a comparison with a style trend. It was unconscious at my end. Cool!

You absolutely nailed it. I had never though of comparing Bauhaus to this flat shit they are peddling. Its the the same shit with a different name :)