Author Topic: Microsoft to lay off thousands in sales, marketing reshuffle  (Read 61 times)

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft to lay off thousands in sales, marketing reshuffle
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:39:41 AM »
The jig is up. Has Windows peaked?

Peak Windows. Visions of apocalyptic wastelands, mass starvation... oh, that was peak OIL.

It would be really nice if the market shifted wholesale to something generic like Linux.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

benali72

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:00:07 AM »

I've had the fascinating experience working with Windows again after many years' absence.

One thing I think has peaked -- the user interface. To sell new product, Microsoft has to change the existing ones. This forces them to tamper with the UI. They've come up with good improvements.... for example, I found the Task Manager much improved, and access to the BIOS/UEFI through Windows a benefit.

But in other areas, they've made the UI more complicated and difficult to use. MS Office UI "innovations" come to mind. Or the metro UI in Windows 8.

I've concluded that while MS has come up with some good innovations, change merely for the sake of change is not good -- at least for users.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »

I've had the fascinating experience working with Windows again after many years' absence.

One thing I think has peaked -- the user interface. To sell new product, Microsoft has to change the existing ones. This forces them to tamper with the UI. They've come up with good improvements.... for example, I found the Task Manager much improved, and access to the BIOS/UEFI through Windows a benefit.

But in other areas, they've made the UI more complicated and difficult to use. MS Office UI "innovations" come to mind. Or the metro UI in Windows 8.

I've concluded that while MS has come up with some good innovations, change merely for the sake of change is not good -- at least for users.

I really, really dont like the Windows 10 GUI. I find it hard to use and cryptic. I thought it was just me but others report the same thing. The interface is inconsistent and horrible. All those flat 2d icons with limited color that are supposed to mean something yet mean nothing. Its like looking a primitive GUI prior to X Windows. I hate it.

Makes you wonder what they were thinking about.

ilconsiglliere

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »

Peak Windows. Visions of apocalyptic wastelands, mass starvation... oh, that was peak OIL.

It would be really nice if the market shifted wholesale to something generic like Linux.

I am somewhat disappointed about the lack of apocalyptic wastelands and mass starvation. I was ready for the Road Warrior :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZOg5L-flNI

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
I am somewhat disappointed about the lack of apocalyptic wastelands and mass starvation. I was ready for the Road Warrior :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZOg5L-flNI

A few effective attacks on the nation's computers with something like Petya could do just that. Stay tuned.

The Gorn

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile