Author Topic: Income from Licensed Plumbers/Electricians vs Being an IT Schmuck  (Read 473 times)

ilconsiglliere

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Re: Income from Licensed Plumbers/Electricians vs Being an IT Schmuck
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 06:50:30 AM »
Two recent projects:

My plumbing project - medium hard work and extremely satisfying.

My crashed PC drive and scrambling to recover something useful - making me into a Charles Manson at home. It's Goddamned driving me up the mother fucking WALL.

Even w/o social media, IT work is soul suckingly all consuming and you can easily splatter like a bug on a windshield and have NOTHING to show for very very hard work over a VERY long period of time. I'm surprised more IT people don't turn into mass killers.  >:(

Soul sucking and all consuming, I LOVE IT

I D Shukhov

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 01:23:25 PM »
I did a google search for fields with the most depression, expecting to find IT up at the top.

Nope.  The worst jobs require dealing with people, as in personal care, social work, sales, financial advisers.   This seems right.  Software can be frustrating and tedious, but at least it's logical even when a program is doing the wrong thing.  Human minds, OTOH, are often bizarre and illogical to the point of acting the opposite of what you expect.

(Says Spock  :-X)

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20428990,00.html

Be Prepared.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 05:50:16 PM »
I did a google search for fields with the most depression, expecting to find IT up at the top.

Nope.  The worst jobs require dealing with people, as in personal care, social work, sales, financial advisers.   This seems right.  Software can be frustrating and tedious, but at least it's logical even when a program is doing the wrong thing.  Human minds, OTOH, are often bizarre and illogical to the point of acting the opposite of what you expect.

(Says Spock  :-X)

Heh heh.

Two major points:

1) Freelancing, which is almost entirely a people job with a thin veneer of providing billable work, would have to be among those high-stress, dissatisfying, depressing job roles.

So I agree completely with this premise. You probably saw my threads about the nutso client who acted like she was going to stalk me invasively over a $500 dispute after receiving and using the website I built for the money.

(I can also tell, I D, that you have absolutely no interest in gig contracting or freelancing, since you never weigh in on those real-life, "this is how it is" threads, even though you are foremost here on the board in wanting to explore and discuss alternative employment options. Probably there is great wisdom on your part in not being interested in something that is a rathole. That's not a backhanded snipe, that is how I see it.)

Anyway - I came to a sad realization a couple of nights ago when I was restoring my data: I have to say that I pretty much utterly despise a good 80% of the clients I've had over the years. Really and truly. 80% did something odious to me: bullied me, demeaned me, insulted my work, accused me of ripping them off, got me involved in idiotic pointless fights with the worker bee idiot full timers, etc.

Second major point -

2) Information Technology IS a people job. It was never completely a neckbeardy, social-isolate vocation, even in the 1980s. Today IT is extremely intermingled with the online, social media, gamified, "face time important" world.

So, I would add IT (and gig freelancing, of course) to the vocations you listed.

Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

I D Shukhov

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 04:11:03 AM »

(I can also tell, I D, that you have absolutely no interest in gig contracting or freelancing, since you never weigh in on those real-life, "this is how it is" threads, even though you are foremost here on the board in wanting to explore and discuss alternative employment options. Probably there is great wisdom on your part in not being interested in something that is a rathole. That's not a backhanded snipe, that is how I see it.)

Second major point -

2) Information Technology IS a people job. It was never completely a neckbeardy, social-isolate vocation, even in the 1980s. Today IT is extremely intermingled with the online, social media, gamified, "face time important" world.

So, I would add IT (and gig freelancing, of course) to the vocations you listed.

Regarding point 2.  Absolutely agree.  IT is very much a team sport with a boss-manager somewhere in the picture if you're an FTE.  Being a freelancer avoids boss-managers, which is why people do it,  but then it becomes more of a people job.

Regarding me being "foremost here on the board in wanting to explore and discuss alternative employment options": whatever I've read lately is that it's a good idea to try different jobs to see if they're a good fit.  I.e. one should take an agile approach to your career and prototype different jobs rather than locking onto one type of job early in your career and never change.   I never did it, but it sounds like a good idea.

It might be worth a try for someone in IT to try out a building trade.  I suspect, however, any job is going to come with its own set of problems.  I was a framing carpenter for a while and didn't like walking on outside walls 40 feet up.   I did it, but never got used to it, although many people did.

Be Prepared.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 07:00:44 AM »
Actually....

IT is closer to a sales role today. So you kind of covered it in your first list.

You have to persuade, sell, and defend your own value as well as the value and importance of whatever it is you're trying to do on the job.

Nobody will leave you alone to just do your f***ing job today except in isolated circumstances.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.