Author Topic: I'm not depressed enough this morning so I revisited the September ageism thread  (Read 1114 times)

pxsant

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
On hair dye, some comments.

The normal hair dye is much too strong and has very toxic chemicals.  One of the possible problems is that your hair can fall out as a result of the strong chemicals.  I have a full head of hair and I tried the store dyes and that happened to me.   Not good.

There is an alternative way I have found that sounds crazy but really works.   Use coffee as a hair dye.   I have a spray bottle in the bathroom full of very dark strong coffee that I spray all over my hair and let it sit for 15 minutes while I shave.   Then I rinse it out.   It does darken the grey hair to a dark brown but looks natural because it does not take all of the grey out like a store hair dye would.   I have done the coffee routine for several years now.

Take a look a at this link for one way to do this.   This example adds a hair conditioner to assist absorption into your hair.   I have not tried that but I will.

http://www.wikihow.com/Dye-Your-Hair-With-Coffee

Code Refugee

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
OK, that sounds fun and less scary than chemicals. (Yeah I know coffee is chemicals but YKWIM.) I was thinking about Henna actually but I'm not sure the reddish tone would look right with me. I might try the coffee, though I would hate to throw good coffee down the drain. I guess I should buy some cheap coffee or instant for this experiment.

Hm... http://www.thehealthsite.com/beauty/herbal-home-remedies-to-colour-your-greying-hair/ walnut husks is another. I have a bunch of those laying around actually since there's a black walnut tree in the yard, and I personally have experience seeing how this stuff stains my skin. Would have to be careful not to let it touch the skin.

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Most beauty supply places have Graybusters.  My husband uses 60% color to 40% peroxide.  I have very thick hair though.  If you have finer hair, try a little less peroxide.  There's a little trial and error involved in finding the right combination.  Also, get a brush from the beauty supply place to apply the color.  Once you're done putting the color on, comb it through with a fairly fine tooth comb so you can get even coverage on all your hair.

Chemicals are scary and they stink.  If you leave the stuff on too long your hair will break off.  I had that happen many years ago when I dyed my hair blond.  I've used henna too.  I'm not sure that will work right on gray hair.

Hmm, coffee, that's interesting.

I know how you feel ID.  I have no place in today's job market at all in the computer world and honestly, I wouldn't want to go back to it.  Network administration is high stress.  I don't need that.  I don't know where to go from here, really.

Same here regarding going back to work in the corporate world.  I don't have anything against IT, just doing it in big software engineering shops.  Throughout much of my career I was having 2 drinks when I got home at night to destress.  Haven't had the slightest desire to drink after leaving the workforce.

Ageism is alive and well in our society and no one talks about it.  Our society doesn't care about old people, it discards them, IMO.  Its a real wake-up call.  You can try your best to remain relevant, but the opportunities are few and far between.
I think there are going to be big problems down the road for our society.  People are living longer, Social Security is not going to keep up with inflation and most people don't have pensions.  By all accounts most people don't have enough savings to last for the extended lifespan that modern medicine has given us.  Investing is tricky and requires making certain bets that could easily go wrong. So how we get income might be like the old days where you work until you die, except where do you work in your 70's, 80's and maybe even 90's?

I couldn't agree more that we are going to have big problems down the road, ID.  Most companies are not friendly to older workers at all.  Older people are slower and while companies will accommodate people with disabilities, family issues, maternity leave, etc.,  the same is not true for older workers.  At my last real job, older workers were consistently pushed out by making their jobs more difficult and impossible to keep up with the workload. 

God help you if you or your SO gets sick.  Then, not only can't you work, it will drain your bank accounts.  Geez, I lay awake at night thinking and praying that my husband and I will not suffer that fate.

Right now, I'm thinking of playing the stock market.  Not with a lot of money, just a small amount to put a toe in the water and get a feel for it.  I think once the Trump administration takes hold, the economy will boom.  I only want to work part time now, but if I saw a decent job opportunity, I would take it.  Its isolating being by yourself all day.

Everyone will get old one day and its shameful that this is what you get after a lifetime of work.  When I was just starting out in my work career in the 60's, old people were appreciated, you got the gold watch, a pension, etc., when you retired.  Today you get the boot.

David Randolph

• Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
Right now, I'm thinking of playing the stock market.  Not with a lot of money, just a small amount to put a toe in the water and get a feel for it.  I think once the Trump administration takes hold, the economy will boom.

Watch out. Right now, the stock market is overvalued and we may have a serious correction. Remember the adage that the market will go in the direction that proves the most people wrong. If everyone is betting on the economy booming under Trump, the market will go into a bear. I would be far more comfortable if everyone were betting that the Republicans will put the Federal Government on a diet and actually balance the budget.

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
That's good advice David.  I'm very cautious about the stock market because I know what you say is true. Once the Trump administration settles in it will become more apparent which way the country will go.

I think Trump is planning some steep cuts in the Federal Government workforce.  He had said he would cut about 20% of the government in most departments, except the military and a couple of other crucial departments.  Its about time.   I'm sure we won't have a balanced budget for a long time.  The government needs a lot of work.