Author Topic: Health Insurance Dilemma  (Read 1425 times)

pxsant

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
    • View Profile
VA Ratings
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »
As a FYI the following link gives the quality rating for all VA hospitals.   Note that some still have a rating of 1.   My VA hospital has a rating of 4.

https://www.va.gov/qualityofcare/measure-up/End_of_Year_Hospital_Star_Rating.asp

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
Re: Health Insurance Dilemma
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
Misleading ratings there.

Hm, first I thought "Wow, look how many are only 1 or 2 stars out of 5, that is terrible! They should all be at least 4!"

Then I looked at the description. 1 to 5 is a rating derived from overall scores and then placement relative to the others. So, 1/5 of the hospitals are 1, 1/5 are 2, 1/5 are 3, 1/5 are 4 and 1/5 are 5.

A 1 star means you are in the bottom 20% of the complete ratings grid.

You could have all the hospitals being the best in the world and 1/5 would get 1 star.
You could have all the hospitals being the worst in the world and 1/5 would get 5 star.

So this system tells us absolutely nothing about the actual quality.

pxsant

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »
I see what you are saying about the descriptions but the counts don't support your conclusion that the counts would be evenly split between ratings.   Here are the results I get of a quick count of the ratings.

1 - 10
2 - 33
3 - 54
4 - 30
5 - 19

Total = 146

i agree that this is a metric only valid within the VA and would be different from an outside rating system.

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 03:00:06 PM »
Yeah looks fairly bell curvish actually, with possible pushing ties that straddle boundary points into the higher bin.

I got [10, 33, 55, 31, 17] for the counts myself, but close enough.

Code: [Select]
va_centers = va_centers.split("\n")
va_rankings = sorted([c.split("\t")[1:3] for c in va_centers], key=lambda va: va[1])
rankings = {}
for va in va_rankings:
   rankings.setdefault(va[1], []).append(va[0])
print sorted([(k,len(rankings[k])) for k in rankings])
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:48:23 PM by Code Refugee »

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
I got this email from Congressman Leonard Lance today about VA care.  This is the text of the email:

"In the spring of 2014, you may recall the horrific stories of dozens of veterans dying while languishing on secret wait lists and lines at VA hospitals across the country.  Then-VA Secretary Robert McDonald compared the wait lines for care to Disneyland.

The VA agency has careened from scandal to scandal since, from the theft and over-prescription of opioids to having calls to the VA’s suicide hotline go unanswered. 

Many bureaucrats responsible for oversight of the VA were able to keep their jobs, and their taxpayer-funded bonuses, too.

Our veterans deserve the best care, and instead these examples exhibit the worst of government bureaucracy.

And while the vast majority of VA employees are hard-working and dedicated, because the VA often fails to hold individuals who are not fulfilling their duties accountable for their actions, these bad actors taint the reputation of the department as a whole.   

That is why today Congress passed a major bipartisan VA reform measure — S. 1094, the "Department of Veterans Affairs Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act” — by a vote of 368 to 55.  I proudly voted in favor of the legislation.

In summary, the bipartisan VA reform bill S. 1094 will:

Streamline the process to remove, demote, or suspend VA employees for poor performance or misconduct.  The Secretary will also be able to recoup taxpayer-funded bonuses from employees who have acted improperly;

Expand protections for whistleblowers and bar the VA from removing an employee who has an open complaint; and

Because of all this ongoing uncertainty, many VA hospitals have acting medical directors.  The bill will give the VA Secretary the authority to appoint permanent medical directors who can provide the steady leadership that VA hospitals and their patients need.

The Senate passed this legislation earlier this month, and it enjoys strong grassroots support from veterans’ service organizations.  The House-passed bill now moves to the president’s desk for his signature into law.

Today’s action will bring us one step closing to better care and better results for our veterans.  And with real accountability, we can begin to make the real changes needed to fix the VA once and for all.

Thank you for taking the time to read this important veterans’ affairs update.  Let me know your thoughts and views by sending me an e-mail or visiting my Facebook page.  I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best personal wishes,

Leonard Lance "

At last there will be some needed changes for our vets.   We owe them so much.

This gives me hope that at last, we might actually get some good news in this country on healthcare for all citizens.  Things are pretty quiet in the Senate so we don't know exactly what they came up with but they know their credibility is on the line to come up with something that President Trump will sign.  There is even talk that they might cancel their customary August vacation to do it.  Wow.  The heat is on.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
How did I miss Code Refugee's Python snippet!!???

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/337651-trump-calls-house-healthcare-bill-mean

Trump calls House healthcare bill 'mean'

President Trump called the House's ObamaCare repeal bill "mean" and said it should be more generous during a meeting with Republican senators Tuesday, according to a Senate GOP aide.

The comments, which were first reported by The Associated Press, were striking given that Trump has previously praised the House bill and celebrated its passage at the White House.

"Mean"? Well, Trump would sure as hell know about "mean".

Maybe there's hope yet for something that can cover ordinary wage earners not on an employer plan.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

Code Refugee

• Wise Sage
  • To Serve Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
How did I miss Code Refugee's Python snippet!!???

It sure is useful for one-offs that extract data from random stuff in ad-hoc formats. Used to be way more of a hassle in the old days even with awk and such. I like doing the functional and comprehensions stuff as it's more fun though it can be tricky to remember what I was doing later.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »
Did anyone else here catch that it was Python... a board fulla IT people... ?

You posted actual code. You'd think we were about IT or something.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.